Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpsa929 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Taking a spouse off the mortgage
    Hello,

My husband no longer wants to have his name on our mortgage. He still will pay the mortgage, but wants it in my name. How can I go about this legally without refinancing? My rates are good right now, and to refinance would bring them up.

Thank you for any help you can give.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dpsa929
    Hello,

My husband no longer wants to have his name on our mortgage. He still will pay the mortgage, but wants it in my name. How can I go about this legally without refinancing? My rates are good right now, and to refinance would bring them up.

I believe adding or removing a name from a mortgage precludes refinancing -

If your husband wants his name off the mortgage you will have to pay off the existing mortgage by finding new financing in your name alone.

Why does he want to do this? If he is attempting to shield himself in anticipation of filing in Bankruptcy it is not going to work under the new laws unless the bankruptcy is some years in the future.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 03:04 PM
    There is no way, the mortgage company will not just take his name off a mortgage, since it is a security for them. You can ask them but don't expect it. The only real way is to refi the loan in your name only.
    JDKR Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dpsa929
    Hello,

If your rates are good - why might he want off the mortgage? Does that raise red flags? You would have to sign a quit claim deed - if your state allows, and get it recorded - but you will also have to check with your lender to see if this is suffice. I would check with them and ask them - otherwise the best way is to refinance...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking name of a mortgage [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a way of taking a name of the mortgage. I have done a quick clam deed.My credit is not great and the interest rate would be more than I can afford.

Taking name off a mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I hae split from my ex and wish to take my name off the mortgage. Anyone able to tell me how I can go about this??

Taking a spouse off the deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a lot of personal credit problems/judgements etc. We are in the midst of separating. I have put mortgage cars, etc. in my name to make sure they are protected. However, I went to refinance since the rate drop and even though the mortgage is only in my name the bank will not refinance...

Spouse taking kids out of state [ 2 Answers ]

My brother's wife just recently left him. She plans on taking the kids out of state with another man this weekend and he doesn't want her to. He went to the police and they told him that they could not tell him what to do, but that they recommended him to check the internet or an attorney. He...

Taking spouses name of mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

Spouse received monetary equity for property when divorced. Spouse sign quit claim deed to property. Mortgage is in both names. Since the divorced property has been converted to a rental property. Talked with mortgage company and will not take spouse off mortgage. What, or is there anything I...

View more questions Search