Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Double check that package, they sometimes come with two plastic compression rings, one for 1.5 and another for 1.25" pipes. You may be using the wrong ring. When you slide the ring onto the tail piece it should be slidable but give some resistance, it is snug.
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 06:25 PM
    They are both the same size. They are slideable but not snug. Please advise.

Nov 28, 2007, 06:27 PM
    What do you mean by "prime and glue"?

Nov 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Does the ring have any wiggle to it once it is on the pipe? If it does it is not the correct ring, they must be snug. Do you still have the packaging it came in, if so, what does it tell us?

Nov 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
    We did a quick exchange there and I got confused. Who talked about prime and glue, Speedball1, Iamgrowler or Ballengerb1?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Instructions for installing a new lavatory waste
    The first part of the waste is connected as per instructions that came with it, starting with the piece that comes through the drain hole in the lavatory bowl. The flange piece that sits on top of the hole needs plumbers putty to seal the flange. The threads on the shaft need pipe thread compound so water does not seep down the threads through the large rubber gasket that connects to the bottom of the bowl with the bevel part touching the bowl. The bottom nut is then snugged down firmly but not so hard as to break the flange or the bowl. The plunger rod is inserted in the hole in the back of the faucet and connected via the additional parts provided to connect to the back of the lavatory waste to operate the drain plunger. The 1 1/4" threaded tailpiece is then made ready by applying pipe thread compound on the threads and hand threaded inside the bottom of the lavatory waste assembly. from here you will connect the trap, either directly is it is high enough or by way of an extension pipe. the trap and extension pipe has an enlarged portion at the end to receive the 1 1/4" tailpiece from the lavatory waste assembly. The top of this enlarged portion has threads to receive a nut which is called a slip joint nut. A beveled plastic or square cut rubber washer which is called a slip joint washer is installed under the nut. On the plastic washer the flat side touches the nut. This nut is tightened enough that it compresses the washer and firmly holds the joint from leaking or slipping. This is called a slip joint or a slip joint connection. The trap is designed to hold about 2 to 4 inches of water which keeps sewer odor from entering the home. The pipe from the trap goes into the wall at a gradual slope and should be a slip joint there or it could be a soldered [copper with melted lead/tin] joint or threaded or a fernco [rubber sleeve with hose clamps].
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    We did a quick exchange there and I got confused. Who talked about prime and glue, Speedball1, Iamgrowler or Ballengerb1?
    Not me -- I'm every bit as befuddled as you are.

Y'know, some folks should just padlock their tool kits, throw away the key and put a reliable Plumber on their speed dial.

Nov 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Growler you got me rolling on the floor. Had that though a few times today. Anyone else want to join the befuddled team, we got room.

Nov 28, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I'm not amused gentlemen. Speedball1 is the person who mentioned "prime and glue"...
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bredin01
    I'm not amused gentlemen.
    Right.

Speedball1 is the person who mentioned "prime and glue"...
    Speedball (as did Ballenger B) also gave you a very concise step by step 'primer', including illustrations, describing how to accomplish the task.

Frankly, I'm baffled by your continued confusion.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 05:04 AM
    This whole situation sounds like an individual 'playing' the guys trying to help. We are honestly trying to help you and if you are unable to garnish and apply the information given you should never own tools. I personally will not be further responding to this string.

Nov 29, 2007, 05:32 AM
    It's not a matter of confusion, it's a matter of your advice not working as you say it will. I need to know what speedball1 meant by "prime and glue". I am not a plumber like you folks are and I do not appreciate the critical remarks. I accomplish plenty of projects with tools and do not need your cocky remarks. My specialty is high tech sales and I would certainly never be critical of those who are not as educated as I am when asking for help. Some of your remarks are simply uncalled for. If you would like to help then help, otherwise don't provide your critical responses. Anybody can do that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2007, 06:43 AM
    I need to know what speedball1 meant by "prime and glue".
    To join, or make a joint, between two pieces of PVC you must first paint the parts with PVC primer to remove the glaze. Next you paint the joints with glue to weld them together. Are we past the connection between the trap raiser and the tailpiece? Do you understand what you'll need to complete the connection? Regards, Tom

Nov 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Speedball, thanks for your kind response. The tailpiece and "raiser" (6" connector pipe) is brass and they came with "slip joint" parts. The problem is that when using these parts the tailpiece is not snug on the 6" connector pipe below it.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Speedball, thanks for your kind response. The tailpiece and "raiser" (6" connector pipe) is brass and they came with "slip joint" parts. The problem is that when using these parts the tailpiece is not snug on the 6" connector pipe below it.
    And it be if you changed the compression nut to a 1 1/2 X1 1/4" compression nut with a 1 1/4" gasket.
    Sorry, I was under the impression that you were working with PVC. My apologies! Tom

Nov 30, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Is a compression nut and gasket the same as a slip joint assembly?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Is a compression nut and gasket the same as a slip joint assembly?
    Yes. The compression nut compresses the gasket against the tailpiece and this makes a water tight connection. Regards, tom

Nov 30, 2007, 09:05 AM
    So I presume that the ones that were enclosed in the packaging are of poor quality and that is why they are not snug even though they state that they are for a 1 and 1/4" pipe? I guess I need to try and buy some other one(s)?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Now I need some information. You say the trap's metal, is it 1 1/2 or 1 1/4"?
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a bathroon sink with a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my bathroom sink with a utility sink but the plumbing drain pipes are smaller than the utility sink fittings. Do I have to cut them off ,they seem to be glued on very tight.is there an adaptor I can use .I have no plumbing knowledge at all(as you can see)and little money to spend....

Bathroom Sink Pipe Assembly [ 2 Answers ]

Bathroom Sink Pipe Assembly There is a pipe from the drain that is a "Slip" type of joint. It slides inside of another pipe. I'm having problems getting it to be water tight and not leak. What am I not doing right? Is it the size of pipe that is the problem? Do I need a special part? Am I making...

Lavatory sink not flat? [ 4 Answers ]

We're replacing a lavatory sink, and it appears that the bottom of the new sink is not flat. It rocks from side to side nearly 1/8 of an inch. It's a 19" round Gerber vitreous china sink. If we spin the sink 90 deg, it still rocks from side to side (relative to the sink, that is). Is this sort...

Lavatory pop up stopper [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new large Kohler sink installed in the bathroom. The pop up stopper can be twisted and pulled out. I've got the pivot rod piercing the eyelet of the stopper and I've tightened the retaining nut, but with minimal twist, the stopper just comes out of the drain. I would think that the pivot...

View more questions Search