Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snasheya Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Developing a thesis
    Hi !
    I've been reading a lot on how I can develop my thesis but I'm still having trouble.

I'm an environmental management student and I have 2 topic options. (word limit: 10 000 words max)

1. 'An environmental management plan for the Lower Liesbeek' *the Lower Liesbeek is part of the Liesbeek River in Cape Town (South Africa) and it is located on the urban edge of the city within a metropolitan park. There is a broader plan for the entire area already but mine would be a site specific plan. The problem with this is that it so practical I don't know how to integrate the theoretical component to it. I just don't have enough insight.

2. 'A comparative analysis: managing the lower Liesbeek through Public-private partnership'. How can I conceptualize this topic?

Regards,

Sally
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Were these topic options already chosen for you, or can you develop any more if you want to?

Nov 24, 2007, 07:04 AM
    I can develop them in any way I wish to.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 07:11 AM
    So, are you saying that they weren't already chosen for you?

Nov 24, 2007, 07:20 AM
    They were sort of given to me , but I am given the freedom to adjust them to a form that I am comfortable with. I think both are OK, I'm just not sure How to set out both their outlines.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 07:32 AM
    I would suggest putting together at least four or five, simple statements for the topics. That way you will have more from which to choose for your topic. Your statement doesn't have to be wordy at all. Just needs to set the tone for the thesis. What you write in your thesis will take care of the rest based upon how you have worded your statement.

Outlining is based upon what you know and would like to develop concerning the topic. I would suggest outlining everything that you already know about the Lower Liesbeek and then condensing it into a usable form for your thesis. What you are going to be doing then is a lot of writing and then picking and choosing the points from what you have written that support your thesis statement.

I hope that this makes sense. Basically what I'm saying is that you will have to go from something bigger to smaller in order to support your thesis statement.

Nov 24, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Thanks for that input. I will post out any new developments as soon as I am done.
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snasheya
    Thanks for that input. I will post out any new developments as soon as I am done.

Thank you! That will help! :) Just please remember that we can't write what you need to. But, we can advise you in the development of what you need to write.

Nov 27, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Hi:) , any comments on my title and its thesis?

PROJECT TITLE:
    An environmental management plan for the lower liesbeek (ll)

THESIS:
    In order to achieve a sustainably working park there is a need to strategically manage the two rivers urban park (trup) in a holistic and integrated manner, whilst maintaining the broader frameworks outlined in the spatial development framework & phase one environmental management plan (sdf &emp1). To achieve this goal, this study suggests that trup be managed in divisions and management plans be drawn up for each sectional division. However, this study only focuses on the management of the ll as a division in the trup.
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Hi:) , any comments on my title and its thesis?

PROJECT TITLE:
    AN ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR THE LOWER LIESBEEK (LL)

THESIS:
    IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE A SUSTAINABLY WORKING PARK THERE IS A NEED TO STRATEGICALLY MANAGE THE TWO RIVERS URBAN PARK (TRUP) IN A HOLISTIC AND INTEGRATED MANNER, WHILST MAINTAINING THE BROADER FRAMEWORKS OUTLINED IN THE SPATIAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK & PHASE ONE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN (SDF &EMP1). TO ACHIEVE THIS GOAL, THIS STUDY SUGGESTS THAT TRUP BE MANAGED IN DIVISIONS AND MANAGEMENT PLANS BE DRAWN UP FOR EACH SECTIONAL DIVISION. HOWEVER, THIS STUDY ONLY Focuses ON THE MANAGEMENT OF THE LL AS A DIVISION IN THE TRUP.
    Hi, snasheya!

I think that you have done a good job with conceptualizing and narrowing your ideas some so that they are more focused. I hope that you aren't going to be using all capital letters in your Project Title, Thesis Statement and also your Thesis itself. Also, where I live, the word "whilst" would be considered to be archaic, and thus not a word to be used. I would suggest using "while" instead.

I hope that you don't mind, but I did take the liberty of writing and doing a little editing to your Thesis Statement. What I did are only suggestions as to what you might do. The changes that I made should be obvious by making comparisons between your draft and also what I wrote. I am not your teacher, so I don't really know all the requirements that you are having to do to complete your thesis. However, you did ask for help here. And, that is what I am trying to do.

In order to achieve a sustainable, working park, there is a need to strategically manage the Two Rivers Urban Park, or T.R.U.P. in a holistic and integrated manner while maintaining the broader frameworks outlined in the Spatial Development Framework & Phase One Environmental Management Plan (SDF & EMP1). To achieve this goal, this study suggests that T.R.U.P. be managed in divisions and that management plans be drawn up for each sectional division. However, this study focuses only on the management of the Lower Liesbeek as a division in the T.R.U.P.
    However, I'm wondering if you even need this sentence in your Thesis Statement:
    However, this study focuses only on the management of the Lower Liesbeek as a division in the T.R.U.P.
    If you leave it out, then maybe you would only need to support how T.R.U.P is to be managed in divisions and how management plans are to be drawn up for each sectional division.

I hope that this has been helpful to you! :)

Clough

Nov 28, 2007, 03:10 AM
    After my thesis readjustment I have now begun to write my 1st chapter. Given my title and thesis could I begin with this paragragh as an opening to the study? Is it okay?

Cape Town's unique environment is arguably also its greatest asset, making it one of the most sought after urban areas in the world. In recognition of the need to effectively manage and protect this valuable and diverse environment, the City of Cape Town (CC) is geared at implementing integrated policies that will ensure that the principles of environmental sustainability are adhered to. However, given this daunting task, the CC has not succeeded at implementing all of its policies effectively.

In 2003, a Spatial Development Framework and phase 1 Environmental Management Plan (SDF & EMP1) for the area at the confluence of the Black and Liesbeek River was promulgated by the CC in collaboration with various key stakeholders e.g. the Friends of the Liesbeek, the River Club, e.t.c. The framework was developed after several extensive studies showed that there was a need for a management plan for the area in order to put in place a comprehensive and realistic means to govern the area.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 03:35 AM
    After my thesis readjustment I have now begun to write my 1st chapter. Given my title and thesis could I begin with this paragragh as an opening to the study? Is it okay?

Cape Town's unique environment is arguably also its greatest asset, making it one of the most sought after urban areas in the world. In recognition of the need to effectively manage and protect this valuable and diverse environment, the City of Cape Town (CC) is geared at implementing integrated policies that will ensure that the principles of environmental sustainability are adhered to. However, given this daunting task, the CC has not succeeded at implementing all of its policies effectively.

In 2003, a Spatial Development Framework and phase 1 Environmental Management Plan (SDF & EMP1) for the area at the confluence of the Black and Liesbeek River was promulgated by the CC in collaboration with various key stakeholders e.g. the Friends of the Liesbeek, the River Club, e.t.c. The framework was developed after several extensive studies showed that there was a need for a management plan for the area in order to put in place a comprehensive and realistic means to govern the area.
    I would mention the Black and Liesbeek Rivers somewhere in the first paragragh also.

However, given this daunting task, the CC has not succeeded at implementing all of its policies effectively.
    Why? Because of.. I think that it would help to have a very brief explanation here.

"CC" doesn't seem to be the best representation for the City of Cape Town. How about C.C.T?

Nov 28, 2007, 03:48 AM
    Cape Town's unique environment is arguably also its greatest asset, making it one of the most sought after urban areas in the world. In recognition of the need to effectively manage and protect this valuable and diverse environment, the City of Cape Town (CCT) is geared at implementing integrated policies that will ensure that the principles of environmental sustainability are adhered to. However, given this daunting task, the CCT has not succeeded at implementing all of its policies effectively. Often, the inefficiency of implementing policies effectively is due to a lack of reliable funding. The area at the confluence of the black and Liesbeek River is a testimony to this notion.

How's this?
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 03:55 AM
    That's much better! I like and understand it a lot more, now! :)

I think that it will be easier to connect to and also flow into the other parts of your thesis better that way.

When is your thesis due?

What time is it right now where you are at? Here, it is almost 5:00 A.M. I must go to bed real soon!

What did you think of my comments on the previous page? Were they helpful at all?

Nov 28, 2007, 04:10 AM
    You make smile!! Thesis is due in January but I'd like to finish it before chrismas if possible. I've already done most of my data collection. Now its just a matter of putting it together.

Oh! I didn't realize that. Its 1:05pm here in Cape Town. They were great! You're super!!
    Thank you so much you can not believe how I've struggled to unscramble this work. As easy as it may sound, I was stuck and struggling to begin. I think now I'm making very good progress (thanx 2 u). I'm even beginning to understand what I'm talking about.

Let me leave you to get some rest now. I'm also going to have some lunch now. Sweet dreams now...

Till later
    Snash
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Thank you! :) I do admire that fact that you are starting so early on this project! That will also give you much more opportunity for revision and others to look it over so that it is just right. The more people that you have looking over something like this, the better!

I am usually on here late at night, my time. If you are able to come on here at 8:00 A.M. or 9:00 A.M. your time, more than likely, I will be here. Not always, but most of the time. Right now for me, it is really just too late. My thinking would be much clearer if you would be able to come on here at 8:00 or 9:00 A.M. in the morning, that is, if you are able to. I realize that might not be possible.

Do you have any printed instructions for your thesis that you could post here?

One more thing concerning your thesis, I would suggest continued posting on this thread about it rather than post a new thread somewhere else here about it. I did see your other post and that Wondergirl had responded to it. By-the-way, Wondergirl would also be a wonderful resource because she is a librarian in a public library and is also a published writer! Concerning me, I taught various Fine Art type courses in public and private schools for many years.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 04:23 AM
    Did you get my private message to you?

Nov 28, 2007, 04:42 AM
    I love art... I just never got to do it in school, I could afford to go to school that offered it. But its never too late to do anything, and that's something I'll do one day-take art classes. The only closest thing to art I'm doing now is landscape architecture.

Anyway, did you send the message 2 my email?

You should get to bed now. I should be able to catch you around the times you mentioned because all I'm doing lately is eat, exercise, write A lot and sleep a bit. I really want to finish ASAP.

Cheers
    Thanks again.

Nov 28, 2007, 04:42 AM
    I mean't I couldn't afford.
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2007, 04:57 AM
    I love art...I just never got to do it in school, I could afford to go to school that offered it. But its never too late to do anything, and thats something I'll do one day-take art classes. The only closest thing to art I'm doing now is landscape architecture.

Anyways, did you send the message 2 my email?

You should get to bed now. I should be able to catch you around the times you mentioned coz all I'm doing lately is eat, exercise, write ALOT and sleep a bit. I really want to finish ASAP.

Cheers
    Thanks again.
    Now you are talking about art and that's very exciting! That is something that we could also discuss at length! There is a thread that I am going to point you to. It is here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...33294-131.html

Please have a look around there. It is huge! But, please don't be daunted by that! We are an extremely friendly bunch over there! The amount of support and learning that is going on there is tremendous! Most of us are online there at about the same times that I mentioned to you previously. If you are interested in becoming a part of that thread, please let me know. It would be great to have you join us! :)

You are correct! I need to get to bed! It sounds like you are more responsible than I am! My main fault here, is that I get so caught up in the fellowship and also trying to help people.

Good day and night to you! I will look forward to continued dialogue! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Developing a natural water spring? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I capture and use my natural water supply on my land?

Education for a student from a developing country [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any free of charge educational institutions in EU for developing countries like Armenia. I have taken my Bachelor's Degree , I am now interested in taking my Master's in Europe for Hotel and Tourism Management. If you have any info on this topiv, please, let me know. I will be very...

Cherry cabinets developing blemishes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - About 18 months ago I installed new semi-custom cabinets in my kitchen. Just yesterday I noticed that the rings of the cherry are starting to turn very black. Even worse, blackish blemishes have formed on a couple of the cabinets, approximately 2" by 1/2" long. To the touch, it's...

Developing ASP.NET web pages [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to learn how to develop ASP.NET web pages using VS.NET 2003. I have IIS 5.1 installed, and have no idea how to get 6.0. Does anyone know if it's possible to set up IIS 5.1 to display .aspx files?

View more questions Search