Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snasheya Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Continuation of chapter 1: background to the study....

In 2003, a Spatial Development Framework and phase 1 Environmental Management Plan for the area at the confluence of the Black and Liesbeek River was promulgated by the City of Cape Town in collaboration with various key stakeholders e.g. the Friends of the Liesbeek, the River Club, e.t.c. The framework was developed after extensive studies showed that there was a need for a management plan for the area in order to put in place a comprehensive and realistic means to govern the area.

These studies include Crowther's report in which the authors pointed out that 'a management plan would be needed in order to set in place a process for improving partnerships between the City and NGO's with the aim of providing an effective upgrading of the Liesbeek River valley system and a base against which to assess any future development which could significantly affect the system' (Crowther et al, 1996). In response to this, the City of Cape Town failed to particularly achieve the former. However, presented with the desperate call of management the City of Cape Town declared the area and its broader locale as a metropolitan park known at present as the Two Rivers Urban Park (TRUP) on 18 August 1998 and five years later subsequently produced the broader management framework.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 03:22 AM
    Dear snasheya,

Just to recapitulate and to make this thread cohesive and comprehensible as possible, I have put below what would appear to be your developing thesis. I have made a few suggestions in it that are in red. Please let me know if this is the way your thesis is currently being developed.

Still much to do and develop on this thesis. But, there is still lots of time...

PROJECT TITLE: (As it was.)
    AN ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR THE LOWER LIESBEEK (LL)

Project Title
    (As Redone) An Environmetal Management Plan for the confluence of the Lower Lisbeek and Black Rivers (We may need to discuss and work on it some more.)

Thesis Statement
    In order to achieve a sustainable, working park, there is a need to strategically manage the Two Rivers Urban Park, or T.R.U.P. in a holistic and integrated manner while maintaining the broader frameworks outlined in the Spatial Development Framework & Phase One Environmental Management Plan (SDF & EMP1). To achieve this goal, this study suggests that T.R.U.P. be managed in divisions and that management plans be drawn up for each sectional division. However, this study focuses only on the management of the Lower Liesbeek as a division in the T.R.U.P. (Need to insert River after Liesbeek and also include the Black River.)

Thesis
    Cape Town's unique environment is arguably also its greatest asset, making it one of the most sought after urban areas in the world. In recognition of the need to effectively manage and protect this valuable and diverse environment, the City of Cape Town (CCT) is geared at implementing integrated policies that will ensure that the principles of environmental sustainability are adhered to. However, given this daunting task, the CCT has not succeeded at implementing all of its policies effectively. Often, the inefficiency of implementing policies effectively is due to a lack of reliable funding. The area at the confluence of the Black and Liesbeek River is a testimony to this notion.

In 2003, a Spatial Development Framework and phase 1 Environmental Management Plan (SDF & EMP1) for the area at the confluence of the Black and Liesbeek River was promulgated by the CC in collaboration with various key stakeholders e.g. the Friends of the Liesbeek, the River Club, e.t.c. The framework was developed after several extensive studies showed that there was a need for a management plan for the area in order to put in place a comprehensive and realistic means to govern the area. (In what way? Concerning the...? So that....? Needs to be explained just a little bit more. Remember, this is about proving your points that you are making. So, you need to make the points clear that you want to prove.)

These studies include Crowther’s report in which the authors pointed out that ‘a management plan would be needed in order to set in place a process for improving partnerships between the City and NGO’s with the aim of providing an effective upgrading of the Liesbeek River valley system and a base against which to assess any future development which could significantly affect the system’ (Crowther et al, 1996). In response to this, the City of Cape Town failed to particularly achieve the former. However, presented with the desperate call of management the City of Cape Town declared the area and its broader locale as a metropolitan park known at present as the Two Rivers Urban Park (TRUP) on 18 August 1998 and five years later subsequently produced the broader management framework.

Nov 30, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Project Title
    (As Redone) An Environmetal Management Plan for the confluence of the Lower Lisbeek and Black Rivers (We may need to discuss and work on it some more.)

Maybe we could say, An Environmetnal Management Plan for the Lower Liesbeek River in the Two Rivers Urban Park, Cape Town..

OK. I will try to elaborate more. I forgot to mention that I have gone\come home to Namibia (Where yo find the Namib Desert and the worlds oldest plant the Welwitchia-or better even, where Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie gave birth to their daughter!) for a Job interview. So I will barely be on the net for the next 2-3 days, but I will work on my paper in that time.

Thanks again, always for taking time out to help me.

Be blessed,
    Selma

(Need to insert River after Liesbeek and also include the Black River.) I don't think I really need to include the Black River because its not part of my study area its just part of TRUP. How can I send you an arial photo of my study area?
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 02:31 AM
    You could post an aerial photograph right here in a post, if you would like. It can't be really large though. If you would like for me to size it down for you, I do have the programs in order to do that. We will need to discuss how to send it to me.

Are you interested in taking the test or quiz that I mentioned on another thead?

I look forward to continued dialogue with you!

Blessings to you, also!

Craig

Dec 12, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Hi Craig,

I'm back again. I had to go home because my mum had a stroke but she's fine now. About that quiz, yes, I'd like to take the test. Where did you say should go again?

I 've done a little work on my paper but I think I'll just send it tomorrow.

Cheers,
    S
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
    Dear Snasheya,

I'm so sorry to learn that your mum had a stroke? Is she completely recovered from it? It would be best to send you the quiz when we are on here at the same time because there are multiple parts to it. I will be on here probably about 11:00 P.M. I think, my time tomorrow night. I have to travel about 100 miles one way in order to play a gig and then I will be tuning one or two pianos around the same location.

I also am looking forward to seeing the progress that you have made on your paper!

Cheers to you, too!

Craig

Dec 14, 2007, 06:50 AM
    You know what, I've been having second thoughts on my current project. I'm thinking of changing my aim of developing an Environmental Management Plan (EMP) to simply discussing that I have identified a need for an EMP for the study area and then I can just discuss the various components that need to be considered, i.e. discuss the significance of managing area, the various identified management aspects (perhaps give management suggestions, but not detailed),the legistlation that needs to be adhered to, the relevant literature focusing on the promotion of a holistic management approach and give suggestions to that as well e.g. adopting a multidisciplinary and adative management approach as well as encouring private/public partnerships; elaborating on the need to understand system dynamics and how it relates to what I suggest; and basically putting together what I think is needed to justify my view.

What do you think? I haven't spoken to my supervisor yet. Do you think this change would still be valid for an honours degree? If not How could I make it more academically sound and not merely report-like? The reason I want to change is because, initially I was aiming at producing an integrated EMP but that will not work too well now as I may not be able to meet all the key stakeholders as we're in the festive season already and this will defeat my aim of having an integrated plan. Instead I could use the questionairres I used earlier to add on to my latter proposition.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 03:05 AM
    Dear snasheya,

I do hope that you are doing well, and that your mum is doing better! I don't know what the criteria are that you have to follow in order to maintain getting an honours degree, so I don't know if the desired change in your plans for your thesis will affect that.

From my viewpoint however, I think that your thesis being more on the lines of, as you say, simply discussing what you have identified as a need for an EMP for the study area and then discussing the various components that need to be considered would work as far as writing your thesis, and also not be so much of a pressured task for you as you have already sought to undertake. If you do commence writing your thesis in such a way, you will be able to come up with points that you will be able to support concerning why there are needs in managing the area, how it can be managed and what can be done to manage it. I think that utilizing those ways of supporting the points that you make in your thesis will be academically sound.

I think that your pursuing that avenue of discourse would be both a valid and wise move considering what is going on in your life right now. But, it does depend on what your supervisor decides.

I am looking forward to discussing things with you, again!

Craig

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Developing a natural water spring? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I capture and use my natural water supply on my land?

Education for a student from a developing country [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any free of charge educational institutions in EU for developing countries like Armenia. I have taken my Bachelor's Degree , I am now interested in taking my Master's in Europe for Hotel and Tourism Management. If you have any info on this topiv, please, let me know. I will be very...

Cherry cabinets developing blemishes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - About 18 months ago I installed new semi-custom cabinets in my kitchen. Just yesterday I noticed that the rings of the cherry are starting to turn very black. Even worse, blackish blemishes have formed on a couple of the cabinets, approximately 2" by 1/2" long. To the touch, it's...

Developing ASP.NET web pages [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to learn how to develop ASP.NET web pages using VS.NET 2003. I have IIS 5.1 installed, and have no idea how to get 6.0. Does anyone know if it's possible to set up IIS 5.1 to display .aspx files?

View more questions Search