Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JanLS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Moving Overseas - 401k Cash out vs early retirement
    Hello,

I will be moving abroad within the next year. I currently own a house which I will be selling. Before I can sell this house, I need to make some much needed repairs, i.e. a new roof and fix a sagging bathroom floor. I want to cash out of my 401k plan to get the money to make the repairs to my home. I have a loan of about $2000 and my vested balance is around $5000. OR... Instead of cashing out my plan, can I take an early retirement? I am 51 years old at present. I will be employed, however, when I go overseas, so what are my options? I do not want to rollover the money and I do not want to take another loan because I am not certain that I can repay it. Even though I will be employed, I must first attend school and then secure a job, so employment is not yet guaranteed. When I sell my home, I plan to pay off all existing debt so when I move I will not have any debt to deal with.

Thanks for your help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 11:38 AM
    If you take a withdrawal from your 401(k) plan your outstanding loan will immediately become due, and assuming you don't repay it, that means you will have to pay ordinary income taxes plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the amount of the outstanding loan plus whatever whatever additional you withdraw. Not sure what your early retirement question has to do with anything - a withdrawal is a withdrawal, and since you are under 59-1/2 a withdrawal means having to pay the 10% penalty on top of ordinary income taxes - doesn't matter whether you are employed or not.
    JanLS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Ok, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any way to get out of a 401K before retirement? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 55 year old married woman with a substantial investment in my 401K. I haven't contributed to my account in years because the performance of the funds that are available to me has been pitiful compared to my outside investments. My employer does not contribute to the plan but I like my job...

What to do with 401k at retirement [ 5 Answers ]

I will be retiring in 7 months and want to have part of my 401 sent to me monthly is it best to roll most of it into IRA accounts and put some into money market savings where I can access some monthly. Do not feel that I will have money to pay an investor. Thanks:)

Early retirement [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 13 year former employee of United Parcel Service. I reach the age of 55 in November and I would like to know what the repercussions are for taking out early retirement?

Early retirement and 401k. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. This is a question regarding early 401k disbursements and retirement. Here's the scenario: I am 49 and fried. I have the option to retire, not formally but on my own. Barring any kind of part time work income after a period of rest, I would be looking at financing my retirement with a...

Early retirement [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning to retire at age 45, maybe 46. What would be the best way to extract money with least amount of penalty? I've been told annuities or something like that. Also, what would be a maximum annual amount that I could get? Thanks!

View more questions Search