Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 04:46 AM
    Reverse mortgages
    I understand about reverse mortgage concept . But the newspaper mentioned
    "A consequence of this is that your heirs cannot expect to receive the worth of the house"

If the mortgage was $50,000 but when you died the house was worth $100,000. Does
    The bank get the house, or just their $50,000 loan??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 06:05 AM
    When you sell your home or no longer use it for your primary residence, you or your estate will repay the cash you received from the reverse mortgage, plus interest and other fees, to the lender. The remaining equity in your home, if any, belongs to you or to your heirs. None of your other assets will be affected by a reverse mortgage loan. This debt will never be passed along to the estate or heirs
    Mortgage Maven Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneill474
    I understand about reverse mortgage concept . But the newspaper mentioned
    "A consequence of this is that your heirs cannot expect to receive the worth of the house"

If the mortgage was $50,000 but when you died the house was worth $100,000. does
    the bank get the house, or just their $50,000 loan???
    The bank/lender is only interested in getting the $ they lent you back - they are NOT interested in owning or taking your home.
    In the example you gave, if the house was sold for $100,000, the bank would be repaid their $50,000 loan balance and the HEIRS would get the difference = $50,000.
    One highlight of a reverse mortgage is that it is a "non-recourse loan" - meaning the lender can only obtain satisfaction of their loan from the proceeds of the house.
    As a matter of fact, if the LOAN BALANCE was $100,000, and for some reason the HOME VALUE was $50,000, the borrower and/or the heirs WOULD NOT be liable for the $50,000 shortfall!
    Regards
    Mortgage Maven

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan, reverse blade w/ no reverse on remote [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a house and 1 fan is in reverse. I can't find a switch on the fan and there's no reverse on the remote. This is a Hampton Bay fan. The remote says it's model: UC7083T. I also thought there must be a trick with the remote.

Who knows about mortgages [ 1 Answers ]

I have an adjustable rate that has gone up every year for the last 5 years it's now at 10.65%. I've tried FHA and they say my raito to income is to high 46%. My loan to value is 80%. Can anyone offer any help/

Second mortgages [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and son-in-law owe us money (about 8 grand in all) and are not good at paying it back. I do not want to do a lien on their house, I would like to keep the courts out of this. Can I do a second mortgage with me holding it, that way we will get our money someday and I don't have to keep...

Mortgages [ 3 Answers ]

Just bought a home in June and since moving I have lost my job, is there any help out there to help me with my mortgage payments?

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

View more questions Search