Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0408 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Sears garage door opener
    I have a sears garage door opener. When it gets cold, the door will not close unless I hold the wall switch down until it closes to the ground. When the weather gets above 40 degrees, then it works fine. Any idea on what is causing this? I have tried to adjust the opener but it doesn't help.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Nov 23, 2007, 09:20 PM
    That's funny,mine does just the opposite when its hot it won't shut, I've tried adjusting mine too I also have to hold button down, my son is always telling me to fix it in the summer then winter comes it works fine. I know this doesn't help any I just thought what a quince dent.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 09:28 PM
    What have you tried to adjust, the clutch? You might try lubricating the mechanism with the special garage door lube.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Nov 25, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0408
    I have a sears garage door opener. When it gets cold, the door will not close unless I hold the wall switch down until it closes to the ground. When the weather gets above 40 degrees, then it works fine. Any idea on what is causing this? I have tried to adjust the opener but it doesn't help.
    What kind / how old is it? Does it have an Infrared safety sensor? This is a likely temperature dependent component. You can find the part at the Sears part site Welcome to the Parts Store... you just need the model #.
    Edward Bruce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
    I have a garage opener. During the warm weather, it works properly but when the temperaure is below 40 degrees, it doesn't go all the way down or when it reaches the ground, it keeps going back up. Can you tell what's wrong ?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Dec 8, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Try lubricating the door rollers and chain with a good spray lubricate made for that purpose. If you still have the operating manual that came with opener it tells you have to adjust the door, If not I believe you can obtain one from Sears.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 06:17 AM
    You could have 2 problems. It takes too much power for the clutch adjustment. If lubricating it doesn't make it close all the way, work it by hand. If it is too stiff, find and correct the problem. If it operates freely by hand, but reverses on the wan down, tighten the clutch.

Reversing when all the way down is due to the switch that signals the door reached the end of its travel. Some of them are in the drive, on the track, or at the doorway-usually optical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antenna length Sears Garage Door Opener [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have a used Sears 41A3036 opener with very bad remote range. The battery has been changed and only give you an added 5 or so feet of range when fresh. The antenna looks as if it may have been cut or broken off at some point. Its aprox 6" long. Im just wondering if anyone knows how long it...

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Sears Kenmore Garage Door Opener programming [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble getting a Kenmore garage door opener to program.

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

Sears garage door opener spring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage door opener that I purchased from Sears less than 2 years ago and I took out the extra warranty.. DO the warranty usually cover the breakage of the spring on the door itself? If not is it a easy job one could do himself? Or is something a professional should do? Thanks

View more questions Search