Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindosa30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Liens against homes
    Recently moved out of a home I rented for 4 years. I moved into a home that I purchased. The old landlord came with a ridiculous list of petty repairs totalling 1,600dollars demanding that it be paid in 10 days or else he will put a lien against my house. What exactly does that mean? Can he take our home which we paid 135,000 for 1,600 dollars? I am disputing some of the repair requests, therefore he will not get his money within 10 days. Please let know something the 10 day request starts today.

Sincerely, Mindosa
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2007, 09:00 PM
    First the landlord can demand anything. But only a court of law can compel you to pay anything. So don't worry about his demands. He can't put a lien on your home unless a court orders it. And a court is unlikely to order it for this type of debt.

A lien is just an encumbrance on a property. In the unlikely event he gets granted a lien, it just means the property can't be soldunless the lien is satisfied. He would not be able to force a sale.

Did you do a walk through before you moved out? What about the security deposit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homes for sale with tax liens [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have just recently started to get into tax lien sales and I went by a few properties that are listed on the auction site and two of the properties with tax liens have for sale signs in their front yard. How can they sell their house if they owe taxes? Did they file for a lien discharge...

Abandoned homes [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Seattle are and see many old, abandoned homes. Does anyone know how I can find out about those homes and how to possibly purchase them?

Changing homes [ 1 Answers ]

I have had custody of my older boys 20 and 17 almost 18 for all there lives. WE have joint custody, but I have physical custody. My 17 year old who will be a senior this fall and will be 18 in October is going to live with his dad at the end of June. I am totally okay with this. His dad thinks...

Homes for sale with tax liens #2 [ 1 Answers ]

So, if the person selling their house has a tax lien on the home then they have to pay those taxes in the closing fee. Got it. But, what happens if the home does not sell before the tax lien sale occurs? Can the tax lien still be up for auction? Wouldn't this stop the home from being sold?

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

View more questions Search