Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    efields Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Is it illegal to stop payment on rent?
    I have a month to month rental with a landlord in which I signed a lease before I moved in on the first month. My fiancé lost his job and didn't get paid for a months worth of work, and we were forced to move out. Can I get into legal trouble for stopping payment on the November rent and moving without 30 days notice?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
    If you were evicted BEFORE November I don't think you can get in trouble since he evicted you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Yes, a bad check is a bad check. Why are you getting forced out ? If you owe them money and cancel money due them, it is very possibel.

Even if you can't, they can sue you in civil court for it, you may win but they can still drag you to court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late Payment of My Rent [ 4 Answers ]

I have been in a rental since the end of May and have had several problems that caused my rent check to come back NSF. I have always paid the late fees and the landlor's fee for the NSF. They have sent a certified letter warning me that if this continues, they will terminate the lease. Can they...

Late Rent Payment [ 3 Answers ]

Rent is due on the first every month and if it is late there is a thirty dollar late fee. I want to know if there is some kind of law saying that a person can be a day or two late without being charged a late fee?

Non-payment of rent [ 5 Answers ]

We own a rental property in North Dakota, we live in Iowa. We had a 1 year lease with our last renters. They gave us a 2 week notice in their 7th month that they were moving and hadn't paid the current months rent. We were able to rent the property by the 1st of the month (May) but kept getting...

Rent Payment Dispute [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I just moved into an apartment in January and paid my first month's rent on Feb.1st. I dropped a money order into the payment dropbox for the office at 5 A.M. on Feb. 1st. Yesterday, (Feb. 6th), I got home and found an eviction notice on my door saying that I have until Feb 9th to...

Last month's rent payment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently gave 60 days notice on my lease. I am now at my last month's payment due. I did however have to prepay first and last months rent at the beginning of the lease. My landlord is saying I have to pay the rent at the beginning of the month and he will refund it at the end of the month. I...

View more questions Search