Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shepard man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 02:37 PM
    german shepard appetite
    We have been training & breeding German Shepards for over 50 years and never had a problem with feeding. We have a extremely healthy eight month old male neutered that simply refuses to eat more than a couple of bites of food. We have tried every type of commercial product that Pet Smart and Petco offer dry and canned. The only success we have is cooked chicken which he will only take a couple of bites and if we try to add anything ( rice/vegetables) he won't touch the food.
    We have had all types of medical testing done : blood and x-rays and everything is normal and he gets over 5 miles of walking and running every single day plus he gets to play with our son every day for hours.
    Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thank You
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Nov 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Over 50 years of breeding & training experience and you're here asking a question like that? Seems fishy. I have zero years of breeding or training experience and even I know that shepards are picky eaters. Surely this is something you should know. If your dog is 'extremely healthy' and has 'had all types of medical testing done' then why fret? I say seek a second opinion with a new vet. Oh and another thing, over 5 miles for an 8 month old seems a bit excessive. But what do I know? I really didn't want to bring age up, but if you've been breeding & training for over 50 years, you must be well into your 70's, so in all that time, this is the first run in with a picky eater?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
    It is my policy to take all but the most obvious questions seriously. I will give you the same answer I do many others. The first question is what does the vet say? Most vets will accurately judge the condition of a dog. I usually refer people to LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog and suggest they have their vet confirm their judgment. If your dog is all skin and bones, not eating, and your vet isn't finding the problem, it is time for a different vet. If it is no worse than lean, then choose a chow and stick with it. Monitor the carefully to make sure the chow you are giving it is all it gets to eat.
    Chibiabos Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 11:24 PM
    I had a German Shepherd with a similar issue, mine was an intact . She suffered from depression resulting from abuse with previous owners, but even when the depression cleared after a few months with me (there is *nothing* in the world like the feeling that your love and caring has brought a dog from depression to happy-wags-and-licks!), she was still a chronic under-eater.

I wound up putting her on a combination of Bil-Jac (expensive stuff) as per the vet's recommendation and a mixture of kibble, canned and human-grade chicken and pork (no chicken bones at all and only large pork or beef bones!). It took a long time, but gradually I did get her weight up to just above the minimum recommended target weight by the vet.

In addition to what I fed her, how I fed her was just as important... she was very strongly pack-oriented, and whenever I went into a different room, she'd have to follow me -- food was not important. So I learned to bring her food with me into my office if I was going to be there for a few hours, and eventually she'd settle down and eat if I didn't get up to leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

German shepard puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently bought a puppy.she is a german shepard and about 8 weeks old.when I bought she had worms,but the lady siad that she has already gave her worm medicie to her.she will not eat puppy chow by purina or the cheap brand either which is sunshine dog food?can someone please hep me in...

German shepard not eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Ashika. I have a female German Shepard who is 20 weeks. She refuses to eat. I have no idea what to do. Please advice.

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

Can any one help me re my german shepard. He lives outside in a run with kennel and during the hot climate in cyprus he has started to use his kennel as a toilet he will not use it to sleep in even when it rains . He is now 8 months old and I am worried as the weather is now becoming colder and...

Just rescued a german shepard! [ 11 Answers ]

I just saved a dog from someone who did not take care of him properly. He was killing their chickens and so they stuck him in a cage for god knows how long! He has scars and scabs on his head from hitting the top of the cage when he was jumping up in there. He is a 2 year old full blooded German...

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

I have a german shepard that had pups two weeks ago, and she stopped feeding her pups, what do I do? I've never been through this and I am afraid for the pups. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you:confused:

View more questions Search