Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hennyxlb Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Smoking Is It Really Addictive or Is it In the Mind!
    I don't know if I'm addicted or if it just in the mind any help ?X
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
    It's both: physical addiction to nicotine and psychological addiction to the "triggers" or habits that surround your smoking.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
    It is really addictive physically and psychologically. It contains nicotine and other addictive chemicals. I heard that pure tobacco is not addicting.

Types of Nicotine | Cigarette Addiction
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Well as a recent ex smoker I can tell you it's both physically and mentally addicting, you feel and want the smokes. It is terribly hard to quit, but it's possible, Marlboro has a great program and so do a lot of other sites, it's mind boggling how hard it is, but keep the faith and keep trying, a million stalks of celery later I'm almost good... Now I'm addicted to chocolate covered cherries, don't figure!!
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Nov 29, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It is really addictive physically and psychologically. It contains nicotine and other addictive chemicals. I heard that pure tobacco is not addicting.

Types of Nicotine | Cigarette Addiction
    I thought pure tobacco wasn't as addicting, too. I had a much harder time quitting pure tobacco than I did commercial, chemically-laden tobacco, I think because it has an undiluted supply of nicotine. I didn't have to detox from all the usual chemicals, but it was much harder physically overall.
    marlboroderek1984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hennyxlb
    I dont know if im addicted or if it just in the mind any help ?X
    It depends how long have you done it and how often do you do it? Also do you enjoy it or does your body "crave" the cigarettes.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Nicotine is extremely addicting. Quit now!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 05:47 AM
    When I worked in a pharmacy I was told that under 10 cigarettes a day it was a psychological addiction over it was a physiological addiction as well. We were trained about nicotine addiction as we sold replacement patches and other aids to quit smoking.

Nicotine is addictive because it resets your brain chemistry. You need to consume it to get to baseline normal again that you would have felt before you had been exposed to it. It really is a rubbish drug in this respect because it doesn't make you feel better or change anything at all- it just makes you need it to be normal- pointless.

So here's what we were told to help people quit-
    Under 10 a day work on the psychological addiction- replace to the hand to mouth action with something else such as an inhaler. Other things I know people try are sucking lollies and knitting.

Over 10 a day try nicotine replacement gum or patches, they usually can be bought in three strengths depending on how much you smoke. You can use these as a half way house, removing the psychological addiction before you tackle the physiological.

Of course we were taught to sell people stuff so I have no idea if this is the actual best method or just what the company wanted me to say!

Good luck!
    drnidz Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Nicotine is addictive , psychological factors play their role as well , like to get attention from others, attractive it appears as celebrities are promoting it, and to wardoff stress , can quit it , by start using mint , very effective I read somewhere, like mint candies etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Addictive toxic intense relationship - why is it so difficult to move on? [ 6 Answers ]

I was seeing this girl on and off and on and off for 3.5years. There were lows and highs but for most of the time she was insistent on living her life through me which made me feel very responsible for her and her happiness. WIthin weeks of meeting she gave up her job for me and wanted to come and...

Nicotine is not addictive for me [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I have done half a can of grizzly smokeless tobacco. I noticed that I have none what so ever craving for tobacco. This tobacco is suppose to have the highest concentration of nicotine in the market. I noticed that when I have my dip in for 1 hour I get a little light headed and by that...

Over the counter addictive drugs [ 2 Answers ]

This may sound really silly, but my b/f is addicted to nurofen plus, he takes at least 12 a day sometimes up to 24 a day. It has a substance in it called codine witch is the addictive part. I have read up on it and I have seen what can happen with the long term use, he already had a stomach ulsa...

Lying addictive husband [ 7 Answers ]

I recently found out that my husband is using cocaine he says not an addiction just occasional use, we have been together for 9+ years and only married almost a year, we have two children one together(he's 7) and one from a previous relationship( she's 12). We have had our ups and downs like other...

Addictive Website [ 43 Answers ]

I use my laptop for work and my desktop to view news, look up information or items that I need and for e-mail. Never had an inclination for chat-lines etc. A few days ago I posted a thermostat question that labman was kind enough to address. Soon I found myself reading new posts, and throwing in my...

View more questions Search