Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    always_pished Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2003, 04:09 AM
    Cake for a party
    Does anyone know a recipe for a sponge cake that I could use to make a huge cake for an engagement party?
    emmathechef Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2003, 02:20 PM
    Cake for a party
    Madeira cake

Ingredients:
    4 oz/ 100g Marg or butter
    4 oz/ 100g Castor sugar
    2 large eggs
    6 oz/ 175g S.R.flour

Method:
    Grease a deep 8 inch cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. To give a better result, place the eggs (in there shells) in a cup of warm water at room temp for 5 minutes.
    Cream the fat and sugar until very light. Add 1 of the eggs and a t.spoon of flour and beat well. Add the second and another t.spoon of flour and continue beating. Sift in the rest of the flour, and fold in lightly. Smooth into the prepared tin and bake in a moderate oven gas mark 4, 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C for 35 minutes. When cooked, turn out and cool on a wire rack. Store in a tin until needed.

Emma Nelson the founder of emmathechef :)
    rozrou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2003, 02:29 AM
    Cake for a party
    Here in Belgium there is a standard cake recipe for what is called (translation) 4 quarter cake. You weigh your eggs and then add the same weight in SR flour (plus 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1 tsp of apricot jam or marmalade per 250g of flour ; the pectin in jam/marmalade gives a moister cake as it retains the moisture content thus improving the keeping quality),  the same weight of sugar, the same weight of soft butter or margerine and flavour with vanilla extract.  
    Whisk as little as possible to get a smooth mixture and bake at 175C until golden brown and cooked through (skewer test if you have made a vast cake!). Cool and decorate as you wish, you can also vary this recipe by adding either cocoa/ dried fruit/ rhubarb/ apple/pineapple/chocolate pieces, nuts , just go creative!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Be-Ro celebration cake [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone My wife used to bake a celebration cake from Home Recipes with Be-Ro flour cookbook. It is a paperback third A4 folded size booklet. When we got a new one (38th edition), as the old was was getting rather tatty, we threw the old one away. Ah but the celebration cake was omitted and...

Help crumbling fruit cake [ 2 Answers ]

I have baked cakes for quite sometime and all of a sudden they have started to crumble when cutting. Any ideas

Friendship Cake [ 6 Answers ]

I have recipe for Friendship Cake but I don't have any starter anymore, Does anyone know how to make it? This is a great cake to give on the holidays. I sure would be thankful! Carol:D

Rock cake recipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help please. I have lost my Bero recipe book and am living in Poland at the moment so can't get a new one. Does anyone have a recipe for rock cakes/rock buns, preferably the Bero recipe, but anyone would be good. Also, I used to have a recipe for rock cakes suitable for a diabetic and...

View more questions Search