Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mosiac_Pot Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 04:06 AM
    Very Large Mosaic Plant Pot
    Hello,

I'm building a very large (3.5' high x 3' wide) plant pot today. Then over the weekend my wife is going to Mosaic it. I'm thinking that I'm going to use pressure treated plywood. I'm not sure what to waterproof the wood with before passing it off to my wife (plaster, polyseal, thinset, etc.). Could someone please pass along some advice...

Thanks!
    LB
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 04:17 AM
    This is going to be for a real plant, correct? Just so everyone is clear here.

Nov 23, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Yes, it is for a real plant. It is a small fox tail palm.
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Are you thinking that the foxtail palm is going to remain in this pot for it's entire life?
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Okay, you're gone now.

Any type of water seal that one might use on decks would be good to seal the boards. Please follow all of the directions on the label of the sealer. Let everything dry thoroughly according to the directions that you read.

Not really sure of the composition of the mosaic. It would be good to know what materials are going to be used in order to give you further advice. Thank you!

Perhaps someone else will also come along here to give you advice based upon their experience and knowledge.

Nov 23, 2007, 05:23 AM
    It will remain in the pot for as long as we want it to at least. I have 8 others that have been in the same planters (in a different area of our yard) for over 10 years now. They pretty much stop growing once they max out the planter's size, which keeps them domestic. Otherwise they can get pretty darn large.

I'll try the deck water sealant or see if the guys at home depot have any info to add (I know that's not saying much sometimes). I'm thinking I'll use the sealant you mentioned as well as waterproof grout. I'll be grouting the mosiac anyway, might as well cover the inside too.

Thanks for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sandblasting Pot [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that can tell me about sandblasters? I need to know how you go about running something other than sand through one. Do they have different tips for say, sand, soda and cob? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pot addiction [ 4 Answers ]

I'm addicted to pot. I have been for about two years now. I don't feel like it interferes with my life too much and that's probably why I have so much trouble quitting. I get board and fatigued and it seems like an easy solution. Is there any tips for quitting. I know I am capable of it but...

Pot filler [ 6 Answers ]

How far off the cooktop do you install the pot filler

Mosaic on formica? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to do a mosaic on my bath room counter which is formica. Will the mud base used for tile stick to formica? Is there an alternative or is it a lost cause?:confused:

View more questions Search