Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sterlin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Case dismissed refiled
    My daughter had a boyfriend she broke it off with who became angry and filed a small claims saying she owed him money. He did not show up for court and my daughter did. The judge said he dismissed the case. She took off from work to go. Now the guy called and said he would refile. My daughter called the court and they said he could. How can this be true? Any advice?
    sterlin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlin
    My daughter had a boyfriend she broke it off with who became angry and filed a small claims saying she owed him money. He did not show up for court and my daughter did. The judge said he dismissed the case. She took off from work to go. Now the guy called and said he would refile. My daughter called the court and they said he could. How can this be true? Any advice?
    I know I know I should have read the post below mine. Sorry Guys!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Yes, because the case was merely dismissed, had she asked for a default judgement because he did not show uo, then she would have won, he could appeal, but not refile.. so yes he can refile, And if the court says he can, he can
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Because she didn't get a dismissal without prejudice. A plaintiff is allowed to refile If they miss the court date. The next time, make sure your daughters asks for a dismissal without prejudice so he can't refile.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Whoops I always forget which is which. Dismissal WITH prejudice is permanent. Without prejudice is temporary. So she wants it dismissed WITH prejudice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The judge dismissed my case because the plaintiff didn't show up [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, if there someone here knows about the law of the small claim please answer my few question regarding to my case. On Mar. 2, I appeared to the small claim and the plaintiff didn't show up and the judge dismissed the case and he said I won because the plaintiff didn't show and now they asked...

I had a dismissed case will this prevent me from employment [ 2 Answers ]

I got a theft by check charge about a year ago, but it was dismissed. Will this prevent me from passing a background check from an employer?

Will my dismissed case show up on LIVE SCAN? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an excellent job opportunity that has come up but requires LIVE SCAN and a background check. My concern is that I have a past conviction (theft) that was eventually expunged/dismissed by my lawyer and a plea of not guilty was entered. The expungement was granted by the court about 10 years...

Battery Offence - Case Dismissed - Expungment Information Required [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My criminal case about battery offense was recently dismissed (not convicted) by the county court. This is the first offense ever. It happened in State of GA. I am working on getting the records expunged. I wanted to understand that if a crime took place in a certain city or county and...

My Case Was Dismissed. What is my recourse? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I filed a small claims court against Equifax. Unfortunately, the court date was set for the same date as my family reunion, which was some 9 hours away. I sent a timely response to the court and to Equifax requesting a change of date. Equifax never responded. I called the clerks office and...

View more questions Search