Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bc250 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Accepting post-dated check
    I recently received two checks. One with current date cleared bank. The other was post-dated. I held it a couple of days after due date. I personally took it to bank and it could not be cashed. Does it become a criminal offense if not good on due date. The account was still active.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:50 PM
    It can, you have to try and cash it, get it stamped for NSF. At that point, normally it goes to civil court for collection or judgement, But you can also contact the DA about criminal charges. The amount of the check may also be an issue.

Normally collection activities are done first, like calling and demanding your money.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Well, the money should have been there if someone give you the check. Did you contact the person that wrote the check to see what the problem was?? I'd try that and I always try to cash a personal check at the individuals bank. The reason being is that I have cashed a check at my local bank from an individual that was being written on another bank and the check was bad. The bank deducted the amount of the check plus a returned check fee to me and my account. Then we presented the check again and it was paid that time. But I had to pay for someone else giving me a bad check. Always try to carry the check to the bank on which it was written.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bc250
    Does it become a criminal offense if not good on due date.
    Hello bc:

No. The date isn't the determining factor. His INTENT is. If it's a mistake, or even bad planning, it's civil. If, however, he intended to beat you out of your money, then it's criminal.

Of course, getting a prosecutor to DO something about it is another matter.

excon
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Dec 26, 2007, 10:18 AM
    FYI... There is no such thing as a post dated check in the legal world. If it's December 20 and the check is postdated for December 21... you will still be able to deposit the check on December 20.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Post dated checks [ 17 Answers ]

My girlfriend wrote 3 post dated checks at 5000.00 a piece (rent advance) for a restaurant. The restaurant collapsed due to a hurricane. She was arrested. Is that extortion on the landlords part? Can she really get into trouble? I thought postdated checks are not considered NSF.

Post dated checks [ 1 Answers ]

I issued 5 post-dated checks in different dates. Do I prepare a check voucher? What is the entry/ies?

Post dated check [ 2 Answers ]

If a bank accepts a post dated check and it causes your account to become overdrawn, is the bank responsible for the overdrafts or am I?

Post dated cheques [ 1 Answers ]

Hello how are you, 1. what is the accounting entry for post dated cheques issued & post dated cheques received and please mention how it will appear in trail balance. Thanking you.

Post dated checks in US Banking [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if post dated checks are used in US Banking?Say for example in take a loan for 50000$ Tenure :12 months.I give my bank 12 future dated checks.How is this condition handled in US banking. Thanks Sandeep

View more questions Search