Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yourcherubkim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Annulments- I don't want one!
    My ex-spouse filed for an annulment about 1 year ago in one Diocese and it was determined there were no grounds for an annulment. This decision was also upheld on appeal. I just recently received another document stating he is again appealing the decision, however, from another Diocese. Neither one of us belong to a church in this Diocese nor were we married in this Diocese. Can he just switch from Diocese to Diocese until he gets the answer he wants?
    Thanks, any and all help appreciated.
    Kim
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Yes, in fact any Bishop of the Church or any Bishop from a group where they have valid sacraments can issue an annulment. Some may not hold up if you appealed it.

But I have to ask, why and how selfish can you be for not allowing this.

First because you are divorced, neither one of you can take any sacrements, so you can't rightfully take communion in the church ever again And by not allowing and agreeing to the annulment you are stoping them from moving on with their lifes, getting remarried properly in the church and being able to take the sacrements.

I would agree to grant annulments to almost anyone that asks me for one, since I believe that people need to be forgiven for things in their life, and because of the strict church rule have to have the opportunity to move on. Why not stop fighting this and just let life go on, so that everyone can get back into forgiveness within the church and be able to be in full communion with the Church fully.
    ** note while I use the Fr Chuck, I am a Bishop and we have at least one Bishop in our order that does annulments on a regular basis to help those in the church having trouble getting them.
    Fairjer Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2007, 12:34 PM
    yourcherubkim,

There seems to be some confusion regarding this issue. After going through the process myself, of having my marriage annulled. The Roman Catholic Church, according to the Holy See, in Rome, DOES ALLOW a person to receive the sacraments through and in the mass and/or Church. A person WITHOUT an annulment from The Catholic Church from a prior marriage, CANNOT get married in the church.

yourcherubkim, there are many on-line resources that have valid information on the official teachings of The Catholic Church, as well as your own local parish Priest or Bishop.
    I copied a Q&A from one such site, below.

Ask a Franciscan: Marriage, Divorce and Annulments - January 2001 Issue of St. Anthony Messenger Magazine Online
    Catholic Answers: Catholic Apologetics, Catholic Evangelization, Catholic Teachings, Catholic Radio, Catholic Publishing, Catholic Truth

Q: I am a Catholic. My wife and I divorced seven years ago. I attend church periodically but pray almost daily. In talking with other Catholics, if the subject of my divorce comes up, they cut the conversation short.

Am I prevented from receiving any sacraments in the Church? Is an annulment necessary for continuing my life as a Catholic? If so, would that render my son illegitimate?

A: If you have not remarried and are properly disposed, you can receive the sacraments of Confirmation, Eucharist, Penance or Anointing of the Sick.

A declaration of nullity, sometimes called an annulment, says that you are free to marry within the Church or that an existing marriage can be convalidated (regularized).

Declarations of nullity do not render children illegitimate because the Church presumes that the bride and groom married in good faith—even if that marriage is later declared null.

As far as his desire to seek an annulment that is his own decision, but The Catholic Church will have the final decision. I understand if you have personal reasons or hostility for not wanting the annulment. I would suggest that you speak with a priest, to resolve this because it is wrong to take vengeance on your ex-spouse. It is not an easy process to go through, personally. It takes much prayer and always asking God for help with your angry and/or hurt.

I hope this helps you.

In Christ.
    Fairjer
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairjer
    yourcherubkim,
    As far as his desire to seek an annulment that is his own decision, but The Catholic Church will have the final decision. I understand if you have personal reasons or hostility for not wanting the annulment. I would suggest that you speak with a priest, to resolve this because it is wrong to take vengeance on your ex-spouse. It is not an easy process to go through, personally. It takes much prayer and always asking God for help with your angry and/or hurt.
    This is the only part of your answer with which I disagree. Why should the person who humbly respects and submits to the decision of the Church tribunal characterized as vengeful, hurt and angry?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Fairjer Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Dec 4, 2007, 01:36 PM
    De Maria,

I am not sure if I understand your question.

I was speaking in general terms, if a person has such feelings, they should not harbor them.

This does not mean, everyone who does not want to seek an annulment must do so, regardless of his/her feelings. I am not asserting that a person must seek an annulment, it is up to the person.

Respectfully,

Fairjer
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairjer
    De Maria,

I am not sure if I understand your question.

I was speaking in general terms, if a person has such feelings, they should not harbor them.

This does not mean, everyone who does not want to seek an annulment must do so, regardless of his/her feelings. I am not asserting that a person must seek an annulment, it is up to the person.

Respectfully,

Fairjer
    Thanks for the clarification. I agree completely.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    2j4t Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 08:05 AM
    "Fr Chuck" I have a very hard time believing that you are, indeed, really a bishop. You sound far too permissive about annulments. I have read from several actual diocesan sources (multiple dioceses) about annulments. For one thing, you are wrong about the sacraments. Divorced Catholics who have not remarried without an annulment CAN still receive the sacraments. Simply being divorced is not grounds for them to not receive Holy Communion.

You're not even spelling "Sacrament" correctly, and one would certainly expect a BISHOP to be able to spell it right. You come across far too harsh against the person who feels they are married and they don't want the annulment.

There is a PROCESS with annulments. I have not read about people being able to just jump dioceses over & over & over again to get an annulment. Both the petitioner and respondent have the right to appeal the outcome of the process. My understanding is that if the second appeal is the same as the first, that's usually it. I suppose someone COULD ask to take it all the way to the Roman Cura. But generally the petition goes to Rome when the first appeal has an outcome different than the first outcome. So say the annulment is approved the first time. The respondent can appeal this. Then say the annulment is denied. Two conflicting outcomes - then it goes to Rome.

But in the case mentioned, NO grounds for annulment were found... not only the first time, but the second time. The decision was upheld. Now the ex is going somewhere else?

The point of annulment is to actually defend and protect marriage. That's why there is a "Defender of the Bond" and why the burden of proof rests with the petitioner.

And it's not solely the bishop's choice to grant or deny an annulment anyway. It's not a unilateral decision. Hence the reason for a tribunal, advocates for both sides, witnesses, etc. etc. You make it sound like someone would send you their application for annulment proceedings and you'd just put your stamp of approval on it, almost no matter what.

I just really question whether you are truly a bishop or even a priest. Something just doesn't set right with me about your post.

Jun 26, 2012, 08:11 AM
    " Fr_Chuck Posts: 63,977, Reputation: 33598
    Expert #21 Report
    Today, 01:04 PM

I would be on my way to Canada but Mrs Fr Chuck is a second degree black belt and I doubt I could make it to the door.

Um, yeah. If you were a real Catholic bishop there would be NO Mrs Fr Chuck. Readers beware if this "expert" posts on matters of the Catholic Faith. Not buying it.

Jun 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
    And wow... reading up a lot of Fr Chuck's posts. Awful lot of time on his hands for a bishop. And an awful lot of answers to sex questions, and many answers also not in line with Church teaching. (like basically recommending Plan B to someone)

PLEEEASEE Readers beware! Fr Chuck is no more a Catholic bishop than I am a turtle.

Jun 26, 2012, 08:24 AM
    [QUOTE=2j4t;3168978]"My understanding is that if the second appeal is the same as the first, that's usually it."

What I meant was the second outcome. If annulment is granted the first time, I think the first appeal is almost automatic to see if there's a different outcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search