Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    900295 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 08:18 PM
    What really controls the ouija board?
    I am curious to know is it just involuntary movements or is it actually what everyone says it is?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Evil spirits, devil and sub coscience movements of our fingers. Set the same board on the floor not touching it and nothing moves ( or I would sure hope they wouldnot)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Those things are scary...
    Reacher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 02:43 AM
    The effect which moves it is called the Ideomotor effect. It's the same thing which moves a dowser's rod, or allows kinesiologists to fool themselves into thinking they provide a service, and is nothing more than the mind acting without properly informing your consciousness.

Look it up, it's quite interesting.
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher
    The effect which moves it is called the Ideomotor effect. It's the exact same thing which moves a dowser's rod, or allows kinesiologists to fool themselves into thinking they provide a service, and is nothing more than the mind acting without properly informing your consciousness.

I will that is fansicnating... thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 02:58 AM
    Ideomotor effect - Google Search
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Ideomotor effect, very interesting. In my own opinion, I prefer not to take the chanch. I am staying away from the ouija board. It is not something that I want to open up to and something that I know is not good.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 03:24 AM
    Same with me with the Game of Life: http://www.hasbro.com/objects/produc...ME%20OF%20LIFE

It sets your destiny! You cannot stop the spirits from controlling your destiny if you play this game!!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2007, 09:03 AM
    As NK has pointed out, it is a board game manufactured by a toy company. It poses no more harm than Hi Ho Cherry-O or Connect Four (also made by the same company). Think about it - does the Hasbro factory have a "spirit dispenser" where they insert a spirit into each box? If you believe you call upon the spirits, why would they come to the Ouija board and possess it, but not the Spongebob Squarepants Game of Life (also made by the same company)? Further, in tests where "pros" (read: scam artists) in the operation of the Ouija board are blindfolded and the board flipped upside down without their knowledge, the "spirit" is unable to move to the correct "yes" and "no" answers, and mysteriously... not able to spell words! Hmmmmm... I guess when you blindfold the person you blindfold the spirit? Hmmmmmm...

Nov 23, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher
    The effect which moves it is called the Ideomotor effect. It's the exact same thing which moves a dowser's rod, or allows kinesiologists to fool themselves into thinking they provide a service, and is nothing more than the mind acting without properly informing your consciousness.

Thank you very much. So in other words there really are no spirits involved in the game its just unconscious movement?
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Haha. I played it once with my sister, and I didn't believe it, so I started picking my nose and told her to ask the "spirit" what I was doing. It answered "digging in her nos". Yes, this thing can't spell! Seems to spell the same way my sister does! So, I went into the next room and started dancing and asked her to ask the board what I was doing, and it said, "stil picking her nos." LOL!

Nov 23, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Haha. I played it once with my sister, and I didn't believe it, so I started picking my nose and told her to ask the "spirit" what I was doing. It answered "digging in her nos". Yes, this thing can't spell!! Seems to spell the same way my sister does!! So, I went into the next room and started dancing and asked her to ask the board what I was doing, and it said, "stil picking her nos." LOL!
    Lmaoooooooooo! That is funny. So your sis was really doing it?
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 900295
    Lmaoooooooooo! That is funny. So your sis was really doing it?
    Without realizing she was, yes.

Nov 23, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Omg hahahaha that's awesome so no evil spirits I have to worry about? Lmao
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Omg hahahaha that's awesome so no evil spirits I have to worry about? Lmao
    Like everyone else her said, the "evil spirits" is probably some marketing ploy to get more people to buy more the games.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Like everyone else her said, the "evil spirits" is probably some marketing ploy to get more people to buy more the games.
    You have a wonderfully cynical mind... just like mine. :) Welcome to the site.
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You have a wonderfully cynical mind...just like mine. :) Welcome to the site.
    LOL... thank you!
    missy20000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 06:27 PM
    I am curious to know is it just involuntary movements or is it actually what everyone says it is?
    The spirits control the board and if you are baffled by the mysteries of the board you will find more... soon
    GNL685 Posts: 170, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 12, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    evil spirits, devil and sub coscience movements of our fingers. set the same board on the floor not touching it and nothing moves ( or I would sure hope they wouldnot)
    A few times me and my cousin were using one and we would ask it to move without us touching it.. it told us to go in the other room and shut off all the lights and come back in 5 minutes... we would go back and it would be moved... everyone in our house went in the other room and we were looking
    portree23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 12:45 AM

Answer: Skeptics say that the Ouija moves due to the "ideomotor effect" (sometimes called "automatism"). The ideomotor effect refers to the involuntary and unconscious motor behavior of a person. The term "ideomotor action" was coined by William Carpenter in 1882 in his explanation for the movements of dowsing rods and pendulums by dowsers, table turning by spirit mediums and, of course, the movement of pointers on Ouija boards.

Carpenter argued that muscular movement can be initiated by the mind independently of volition or emotions. We may not be aware of it, but suggestions can be made to the mind by others or by observations. Those suggestions can influence the mind and affect motor behavior. What is purely physiological, however, appears to some to be paranormal.

The skeptical explanation does not, however, account for predictive events and other phenomena sometimes associated with the Ouija.
    Trust me this it's the true also its my experience don't believe in fake thanks all the best for all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm thinking about using a ouija board... [ 16 Answers ]

Me and my two friends did one two days ago but we didn't do it right and I looked it up on the website and I now know how to do it. I was just woundering what everyone would say about it though, as I have heard that they aren't always safe! I have tried talking out loud but that didn't work...

Ouija board crisis! [ 44 Answers ]

hey OK I really need an answer to this question. me and my best buddy here were playing the ouija board and were really into spirits and apperantly the spirits were casting a spell on us, and said that we were going to get hurt. Can that happen? Should we do something? Or are they just kidding...

Does anyone have a ouija board story? [ 127 Answers ]

I have heard some pretty scary ouija board stories in my time. I want to know if anyone has heard of any?

Using a ouija board alone [ 173 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a Ouija Board (the glow in the dark one) yesterday; I've never before used one in my life but researched and have some knowledge about it. Why are people not supposed to use them alone? And also, I have what I would call a 'sixth sense' anyway where I see and hear things most...

Ouija board [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know the prayer for the ouija board can anyone help me?

View more questions Search