Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wisethinking Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Nov 22, 2007, 07:48 PM
    Severe ankle injury
    Is there anybody out there with a severe ankle injury? What do you do for pain and exercise? What are your long term goals for surviving your injury?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Have you had it xrayed? If not you should. A sprain is usually much worse than a break and the recovery period longer.

Keep it rested and elevated. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT exercise it. Tylenol for pain and ice for swelling.

Nov 23, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Have you had it xrayed? If not you should. A sprain is usually much worse than a break and the recovery period longer.

Keep it rested and elevated. Do not, and I repeat DO NOT exercise it. Tylenol for pain and ice for swelling.
    Yes it has been xrayed. Compound fracture. Severe damage. I have no cartlidge. In constant pain. I'm seeking others with a similar problem. I wish I could get pain relief in a natural way.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
    You should be following your doctor's orders. A compound fracture is very serious and if not treated properly will lead to permanent damage.

Am I right to assume you have had surgery on this?

Nov 23, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    You should be following your doctor's orders. A compound fracture is very serious and if not treated properly will lead to permanent damage.

Am I right to assume you have had surgery on this?
    Yes, two surgeries. The doctors can't do much. For sure I have permanent damage. No cartlidge and severe arthritis. I am hoping to find some other alternatives.
    Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Sanjay Persad disagrees: sprain and break is the same thing... sprain is the medical term
    You stick to high school and I will stick to medicine. A sprain and a break are two totally different things!! Sprains deal with muscles and tendons whereas a break is a broken bone. Before you give disagrees, you better check your facts.

A broken (fractured) bone requires emergency care. Suspect a possible broken bone if your child heard or felt a bone snap, if your child has difficulty moving the injured part, or if the injured part moves in an unnatural way or is very painful to the touch.

A sprain occurs when the ligaments, which hold bones together, are overstretched and partially torn. Simply overstretching any part of the musculature is called a strain. Sprains and strains generally cause swelling and pain, and there may be bruises around the injured area. Most sprains, after proper medical evaluation, can be treated at home.
    So, Sanjay, are you now going to continue to tell me I am wrong? Just go ask your high school science teacher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ankle Bracelets [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently purchased an ankle bracelet. Which ankle is the correct ankle to wear the bracelet (anklet) on?:confused:

Broke my ankle? [ 3 Answers ]

I think I broke my ankle. It's swolen and I can't put weight on it but the doctor says I didn't break a large bone. It hurts to move and to touch. Should I get it casted or what?:confused:

Did I break my ankle? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok so I was walking across my in-laws farm and I stepped in a hole, my ankle bent and I heard a loud "POP" like when you crack you knuckles. I instantly fell to the ground. It hurt so bad!! I laid there for awhile, my husband came to my side and took off my shoe. After about 10mins I was able to...

Catch in ankle? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having this catch in my ankle on and off for a long time. But recently I have it 5 to 7 times a day well actually more like every time I walk. I just doesn't want to bend or can't handle any weight at all and then if I role it like I am trying to pop it it helps and then I can walk for...

Ankle discolouration [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, in 2002 I woke up one morning to find above both ankles the skin had turned red. Since then it has spread all down my feet arounf to my heel and slightly up my leg. It is not dry skin, I have recently began getting red patches starting on my shins but only 1 or 2. I can't find any thing on...

View more questions Search