Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackman Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Stock tank algae.
    This is a short message.Can algae bloom happen in a fresh water stock tank?
    Jack
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackman
    This is a short message.Can algae bloom happen in a fresh water stock tank?
    Jack
    Yes I believe it can if some kind of organic matter has been introduced to the tanks environment. Organic matter that would ferment in water. Just a thought, or have you put any new rocks or gravel in lately without washing them first?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
    This from the University of Missouri Extension Service:
    Stock Watering Tanks

Chlorine Bleach
    Add 2-3 ounces of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (unscented laundry bleach) per 100 gallons of tank capacity every week. The chlorine will dissipate more rapidly in hot weather or if organic material is present in the tank. Do not use pipeline sanitizer or swimming pool chlorine. To determine gallonage of a square or rectangular tank, multiply in feet: (length x width x depth x 7.5). To estimate gallonage of a round tank, multiply in feet: (diameter x diameter x depth x 6).

Copper Sulfate
    Add copper sulphate (Bluestone or Blue Vitrol) at the rate of 1/8 teaspoon per 100 gallons of water to kill existing algae. It should then be mechanically removed. Cover or shade the tanks to help slow algae growth.

Zinc Sulfate
    Dissolve one cup of zinc sulfate in one gallon of warm water and put 1/2 cup of this solution per 100 gallons of water in tanks as often as necessary (it will depend on number of animals drinking, amount of organic material in trough, and weather). Or if bird manure on the roof is not a factor, direct runoff from galvanized roofs into waterers.

Nov 22, 2007, 04:13 PM
    I did not make myself clear.What I am wanting to do is grow algae,but no bloom.I have done some different gardening.I have grown the biggest and most sweet potatoes than I have ever seen.I used bricklayer sand that was green from algae.The algae is very high in phosphorus just what potatoes love.So that is the test we will see if it works on Irish potatoes.

Jackman
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
    I still don't understand, jackman, are you growing hydroponic veggies? I don't see how potatoes (one of my favourite foods) can be grown hydroponically ? Can't even assume how you are growing these ? Can you show us a picture ?

Nov 22, 2007, 05:29 PM
    I would be glad to show you pictures,if you tell me how to download on this site.I will tell you how they were grown.I have 16 tires with one sidewall cutout.I put the algae sand in each tire with some compost.The algae sand was from my pool water filter that had only Baqucil to keep it clear.(no bleach) It was one of these things you try.I had no idea it was a potato food.
    Jackman

Nov 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackman
    I would be glad to show you pictures,if you tell me how to download on this site.I will tell you how they were grown.I have 16 tires with one sidewall cutout.I put the algae sand in each tire with some compost.The algae sand was from my pool water filter that had only Baqucil to keep it clear.(no bleach) It was one of these things you try.I had no idea it was a potato food.

Jackman
    Go to Garden Galleries at Garden Web. Click on day 6 of Nov. to see the sweet potatoes.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 03:26 PM
    jackman, can you give me the proper website, I would love to see what you have been doing !

Nov 23, 2007, 03:52 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/lawn-g...tml#post737907

This is the potatoes.
    jackman

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algae on vinyl siding [ 5 Answers ]

I have never regretted putting low maintenance vinyl siding on my house in 1985. Low doesn't mean zero. I am now having problems with algae on the North side. It is the perfect environment, shaded and damp, and the ancient red wood deck doesn't help either. A few years ago I spent a hard day's...

Death of algae eater [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause the death of algae eater? I have a plecostamus in 10 gallon tank with 2 black moor fish and they seem o.k. the algae eater was behind fake plants curled up in a ball. This is 2nd algae eater that died? I fed him the wafers but confused how often to feed.

Mold, mildew and algae [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between mold, mildew and algae?

Sudden algae and death in Goldfish tank [ 5 Answers ]

My gold fish have been in a 30gal fresh water unheated aguarium for 3 years now with the algae controlled well. Over the past mont I have noticed a huge amount of algae forming. The glass of the aquarium was covered with it (could still see in but little hazy looking). I do have snails in the...

Blue-green algae [ 1 Answers ]

Hello What kingdom is blue-green algae included in? And can you tell me 4 different places where blue-algae grows? And why are most of them found in higher intertidal zones or in shallow waters?

View more questions Search