Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nycjdc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Tub drain - darining slow, stopper lever broken off
    Hi,

I'm in a rental w/ a non-responsive landlord and need to fix my bathtub drain. It used to drain fine until one day when I cleaned it w/ ajax.

I may have bumped the cover where the drain stop lever is supposed to be; it is broken off. (it could be simply soap scum down the drain, but the way it suddenly became a problem, I'm doubtful.)

The tub is in the corner of bathroom and there is no apparent access panel on the outside the apartment, much less above/around tub inside the house.

If I remove the cover where the drain stop lever is to pop through, do I run any risk of something slithering down and not be able to retrieve whatever it is?

And is it easy to reattach a drain stop lever?

Finally, if it is soap scum, should I just try the salt/baking soda/vinegar cocktail?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Go to your lo0cal hardware store and pick up a Lever Type chrome cover for a tub waste and overflow. Now remove the two screws holding the plate and pull up and out. Now simply change the cover plate and attach the linkage push the plug and the linkage back down .tighten the two screws and you've just saved big bucks on a service call. Good luck, Tom
    nycjdc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Will head out the store tomorrow a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Go to your lo0cal hardware store and pick up a Lever Type chrome cover for a tub waste and overflow. Now remove the two screws holding the plate and pull up and out. now simply change the cover plate and attach the linkage push the plug and the linkage back down .tighten the two screws and you've just saved big bucks on a service call. good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow Tub Drain; Draining Sink Overflows Tub [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I'm looking for advice about some bathroom plumbing issues. We live on the ground floor of a condo building that has a cement slab. The tub in our bathroom has an extremely slow drain (ankles submerged during a shower). We've tried to snake the tub drain both through the drain and by...

Bathtub drain lever broken. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, the drain in my tub has been horribly slow for quite some time... I've tried to clear it wish minimal success... I thought it might be the old drain stop, so I took off the lever face to discover that it had corroded and separated from the rod or chain that connected it to the stop... Any...

View more questions Search