Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LOBSTERCURIOUS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Live lobster transportation
    How are live lobsters transported from wholesalers to retailers ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBSTERCURIOUS
    How are live lobsters transported from wholesalers to retailers ?
    A specially adapted container for transporting lobsters or other marine organisms in an aerated water environment is in the basic configuration of a drum housing with removeable cover and vent hole. A low pressure air diffuser is positioned in the drum housing at the base for releasing diffuse low pressure air into sea water contained in the drum. Air coupling for delivering low pressure air to the diffuser is provided along with inlet and outlet openings for circulating fresh sea water in lieu of diffuser aeration. Different covers for the container may be provided for loading by the fisherman and for subsequent transport. The invention further includes a complete system for containerized transport of lobsters by truck or other vehicle in the aerated water environment provided by the containers. The method of the invention provides for handling and transporting lobsters in aerated sea water from a boat at the dock to a lobster pound or similar destination. The method may be completely automated as disclosed. Injury to the lobsters and consequent shrinkage of pounded lobsters live stored for long periods is effectively eliminated.
    drand10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 08:04 PM
    I am aware of the very special way they package lobster for transportation overeas etc... via boat.
    But how about via truck. Is there a less expensive way to chill the lobsters, add misters... and then transport them for a 2-3 day transportation trip via truck? Just wondering if you can transport via truck cheaper that I can air freight in product?

Do all restaurants direct ship in product or do they buy locally from distributors?
    Do the distributors airfreight in product or do they truck lobster 2000+ miles? (to Florida, for example)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live Lobster Transport [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how live lobsters are transported? I saw a truck with "Live Lobsters" written on it, so I was wondering, does that mean they are in water? Because don't lobsters breathe water?

Magical Lobster [ 2 Answers ]

There was a young woman who was a chef and she wasn't the greatest. Then she meet someone and she wanted to be better at chef and then there was a lobster that was magical and helped her be the best chef in town and get her guy! What is the name of this movie?

Lobster [ 2 Answers ]

How long does it take for a lobster to actually die once you put it in boiling water ?

Transportation of cars through KY,VA,W.VA,PA. [ 6 Answers ]

I need to transport two cars and need to know if I need permits to do so. I have a rollback car hauler that is used for my use only (not for hire)

Transportation from Geneva to Zermatt Switzerland [ 0 Answers ]

I will be in Switzerland this May. I want to travel from Geneva to Zermatt. What is the best way to do this? I can find a train schedule that serves Zermatt. ELG

View more questions Search