Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeekingAdvice000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Which is better fire fox or internet explorer?
    I just wanted to no what it better and safer internet explorer or fire fox??
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
    I think everyone has their own opinions on this one.

I prefer Internet Explorer, but I have actually heard that Firefox is SAFER. I just could never get used to FF, so I kept my trusty old IE. I have firewalls and scurities, so I think I'm fine.

Research on each is the best way to figure this out.
    mongoose102860 Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2007, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingAdvice000
    i just wanted to no what it better and safer internet explorer or fire fox???
    Both are safe. Your safety net in how well you are protecting your system with OS settings or other software such as pop up blocker, anti spy ware, virus scan and firewalls. Thou fire fox takes awhile to get use to because of the way it works. Type in Google "firefox vs internet explorer" and it will compare the two in a better professional description.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Here's an easy-to-understand article from Kim Komando on the issue of security and IE on Windows machines, and what you can do to decrease the chance of security problems with IE:

USATODAY.com - For better security, keep an eye on ActiveX

I require everyone at my agency to use Firefox rather than IE for everyday browsing, and allow IE only for certain approved sites that require it (and for Windows Update, of course).

Enable your firewall. Be sure to run virus detection software regularly. Run Windows Update once a week as I do. Use Firefox or Opera for everyday browsing. Download and run Spybot Search & Destroy, and AdAware. Never open an email attachment without downloading & scanning it first. If you do all these things regularly, you reduce greatly the chance of a security problem with your machine.

Vasily
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2007, 06:09 PM
    I would strongly recommend Firefox. Indeed, not only would I consider it safer, but I would also suggest that the features are more attractive, and it is more stable.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Lol, I prefer internet explorer, because I'm used to it, but I can work with Firefox, in fact due to vista some of the stuff that I do will only work using Firefox, yet I can't view the internet using Firefox, because of vista, probably due to the settings, but I can use it with my work, its weird like that.
    chrismastree Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 03:49 AM
    Use both - they arew both good for various reasons!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 04:07 AM
    My personal prefernce is Firefox all the way. IE in my opinion is a pain. We all have our own preferences though. Lol

Firefox, Firefox, Firefox.
    Vision Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 04:10 AM
    Internet Explorer, Internet Explorer, Internet Explorer... As I have previously stated, I think that you'd have to use both to see which one YOU like better.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismastree
    Use both - they arew both good for various reasons!
    This is an excellent idea. Use both.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2007, 04:19 AM
    I'm using the new Firefox 3.0 beta and it's fast!
    AMIR714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Of course FireFox much better and safer than IE
    Vision Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AMIR714
    Of course FireFox much better and safer than IE
    Do you have evidence of this?

Nov 26, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Do you have evidence of this?
    It's pretty well known in the IT community that Internet Explorer is less secure out of the box than Firefox because of its use of ActiveX controls. Here is a PDF article by Vargas Advanced Technologies Group which does a good job of explaining the shortcomings of Internet Explorer (which go beyond security) and why they recommended Firefox instead to one of their clients:

www.vatg.com/pdf/VATG_Firefox_Article.pdf

Because of the dependence on ActiveX, most users will sooner or later run into malware installed during ordinary browsing that has slipped through their firewall, antivirus software, and adware blockers. Security software is only as good as its latest malware definitions, and malware authors are always trying to keep one step ahead of the "enemy". That's why wearing my hat as a long-time IT professional I do not allow our users to use Internet Explorer for everyday browsing.

Vasily
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
    IE7 has pretty much fixed the security holes. It's almost down to the user experience and preference. Firefox does offer much more customization options for the user that has an interest in that.
    Vision Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I've used IE for ten years and never had a virus or anything to that effect. And I was asking because this person was stating something as fact without providing the reason they were doing so.
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
    The previous versions were brutal security holes, it used to allow a host of variety of malware; that's probably why he said what he said.
    Count yourself lucky! :)

Nov 26, 2007, 03:26 PM
    More people are on earlier versions of IE than on IE7:

Browser Statistics

This remains a serious issue for many home users as well as corporate users who won't or can't upgrade to IE7 or later.

As for not being infected by malware over the past 10 years, count yourself lucky. It's either because you've visited the right web sites over that period or you've been more scrupulous than the average user about safe computing practices.

Vasily
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I suspect those IE6 numbers reflect organizations (the corporate environment that control their Windows Updates versus the Automatic Update scenario) such as ours that are staying with IE6 due to the custom intranet ActiveX apps created. The home/SOHO user would have had IE7 forced upon them through the regular Windows Update.
    peper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
    I have used both, I do prefer IE, but I have heard that FF is safer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer [ 10 Answers ]

I know that I have a virus/bug/something in my internet explorer & I don't know how 2 get it out... this computer has not had internet access in a few months... mmm... like 8 or 9 I guess & my hubby and I just got dsl & we need internet explorer 2 use it... when I open IE it give me my welcome...

Fire fox or Internet Explorer [ 12 Answers ]

Which do you rather? I personaly would chose fire fox :rolleyes:

Internet Explorer [ 4 Answers ]

When ever I try to open a site such as Yahoo,Google I get a popup window that ask me what to use to open it with,When In click on IE and OK it will open. How do I get it to open all the time without doing this extra. Its something new? :confused:

MS Internet Explorer [ 2 Answers ]

After installing Firebird I lost use of Internet Explorer. It tries to open a site only to return the page with the message "Cannot find server - the page cannot be displayed. There are some web sites requiring IE, how do I reset the program. I tried downloading from MS but they said I have a newer...

View more questions Search