Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Nov 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
    About 13% of Windows users worldwide (70 million) were still on 98/ME as of July last year:

iTWire - Windows 98 users on their own says Microsoft

does anyone still use windows 98? - Tech Help Forums - Powered by FusionBB

The numbers have probably gone down since, but I will wager it's still a substantial percentage. Also, I don't know how many are on Windows 2000. That's quite a few users who can't run IE7 for its security benefits. Maybe they're all corporate users but somehow I doubt that...

Vasily
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Good point about the OSes. To know that people are still running ME is frightening. :)
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Good point about the OSes. To know that people are still running ME is frightening. :)

Indeed! ME was without equal the buggiest OS that I ever used.

Windows 2000 is a very stable OS, and is still widely used in the business environment. I current have one computer on Win2K and one on WinXP.
    davejacobs Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Dec 1, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Even though Internet Explorer keeps getting better, Firefox is widely regarded as a safer browser. Most internet users will not have any problems while using either of them as long as they are running suitable security software such as a firewall and antivirus protection. Of course you always need to also practice safe surfing.:) If you are still worried then go with the greater margin of safety Firefox provides. In addition you might want to save some money by checking out a few of the great free security software downloads available for use with either IE or Firefox. You do not need to purchase any security software if you do a little looking for free alternatives!
    auglocqnuk Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Internet Explorer has too many security holes. I have many friends whose computers were infected by numerous viruses and even hacked while they used Internet Explorer, even though they had the proper security installed. I recommend Firefox all the way, due to it's more advanced build, intense security, and it's stability. However, if you insist upon using Internet Explorer, first download and install Avast Home Edition for free. This is an anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-adware program that is continuously searching your computer and internet browsing for viruses and other malicious programs. To get Avast, go to Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition Download
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 1, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by auglocqnuk
    I'd recommend all Windows users (even those using Firefox) run an antivirus app like Avast! Regularly (it's a good product), as well as Windows Update, Spybot S&D, and AdAware 2007 (all of these are free software). Also, use safe email practices: see this short summary page:

Internet Safety: E-mail safety information

BTW, I've found Spybot S&D and AdAware 2007 find different malware, so I like to use them both.

Vasily
    auglocqnuk Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Actually, actively running each of these things (Avast, Spybot S&D, and AdAware) together on the same computer at the same time can eventually block your internet connection, as each one has its own Firewall. However, you can avoid this by only running one at a time to search for various malicious programs. I would recommend running Avast ALL the time, especially if you have an "Always On" connection.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by auglocqnuk
    Actually, actively running each of these things (Avast, Spybot S&D, and AdAware) together on the same computer at the same time can eventually block your internet connection, as each one has its own Firewall. However, you can avoid this by only running one at a time to search for various malicious programs. I would recommend running Avast ALL the time, especially if you have an "Always On" connection.
    This is incorrect. Avast, the anti-virus program, is indeed constantly monitoring the files that enter your computer as it should. Spybot has a component that acts as a blocklist for known malware types but is largely an on-demand scanner. AdAware is uniquely an on-demand scanner for malware, it does not do live monitoring. NONE have a firewall component nor will they block your internet connection.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly
    I'd recommend all Windows users (even those using Firefox) run an antivirus app like Avast! regularly (it's a good product), as well as Windows Update, Spybot S&D, and AdAware 2007 (all of these are free software). Also, use safe email practices: see this short summary page:

Internet Safety: E-mail safety information

BTW, I've found Spybot S&D and AdAware 2007 find different malware, so I like to use them both.

Vasily
    Agreed. I would add that anyone not using a Router with a firewall should turn on the firewall in Windows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer [ 10 Answers ]

I know that I have a virus/bug/something in my internet explorer & I don't know how 2 get it out... this computer has not had internet access in a few months... mmm... like 8 or 9 I guess & my hubby and I just got dsl & we need internet explorer 2 use it... when I open IE it give me my welcome...

Fire fox or Internet Explorer [ 12 Answers ]

Which do you rather? I personaly would chose fire fox :rolleyes:

Internet Explorer [ 4 Answers ]

When ever I try to open a site such as Yahoo,Google I get a popup window that ask me what to use to open it with,When In click on IE and OK it will open. How do I get it to open all the time without doing this extra. Its something new? :confused:

MS Internet Explorer [ 2 Answers ]

After installing Firebird I lost use of Internet Explorer. It tries to open a site only to return the page with the message "Cannot find server - the page cannot be displayed. There are some web sites requiring IE, how do I reset the program. I tried downloading from MS but they said I have a newer...

View more questions Search