Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdc719 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Does my son have to use his legal last name in school?
    My 4 year old son has his father's last name and he has basically abandoned this child. And he will not give up rights and is not authorizing a last name change. Is it okay for my son to go by my last name in school? I understand that on legal documents he must go by his legal last name. It's very difficult for me when my son asks why me and his sister have the same last name.. he feels so left out and gets depressed.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Yes, It is OK for him to use your last name for school.
    sdc719 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    yes, It is ok for him to use your last name for school.

Thanks, but you don't think the teacher's would have an issue with this? He is in Pre-K and although I was assured they were only going to use his last name.. he has been bringing home papers to trace his full name on. Do I just let the teacher know the next school day that he will go by another last name?
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 10:34 PM
    I would send a note letting them know, I would go into the office and make the change on the enrollment forms as well. I would also include my phone number at the bottom of the note. If you feel like sharing why he is going to be using your name, then do so.
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Yes you would have to. It's by law. You can on the other hand send a letter to the head office of education to ask if it is at all passable to do so. As fare as I am aware you need to use the given name.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    Yes you would have to. It's by law. You can on the other hand send a letter to the head office of education to ask if it is at all passable to do so. As fare as I am aware you need to use the given name.

Know of a similar situation in which the child's birth certificate must be presented at time of admission to school and that is the name in which the child is enrolled. School would not make an exception because that name is the child's legal name.

I'd be afraid that using one name here and another name there will only lead to legal and medical confusion.

I use my maiden name professionally and my married name socially and legally and it is one endless explanation.
    -

Nov 22, 2007, 10:44 AM
    What JudyKayTee said is so true. But you could use a nick name of some sort to help with this issue.
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2007, 11:28 AM
    My son is a senior in high school, his legal name is my maiden name, he wanted to use his fathers last name when he was in kindergarten and has used it all of these years. No problems, he has even taken the ACT twice. His school Id has his dads name on it. Btw I am married to his dad. He plans on changing his name soon, that's fine with me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
    US law allows a person to use any name they want as long as there is no intent to defraud. You have to present the birth certificate, but you can tell the school that she will be using your name. There is nothing illegal about it. If they insist ask them to show any rules or statutes that support it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
    The real issue will be latter when he graduates, his drivers licesne, his SS card and other info will have his real name, not sure how many jobs will believe this other name he graduated with is really his high school dipolma,

Also since college will require student loans, and normally formal legal name, will a high school dipolma with another name hurt him getting him ?

Also for our schools, a birth certificate and social security card are required to enroll the child, so not sure how you can use another name now adays
    -

Nov 22, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Thank you Fr_Chuck. I would not agree more.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    What JudyKayTee said is so true. But you could use a nick name of some sort to help with this issue.

I don't think you can use a nickname for the last name -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

Son hates private school need some help [ 9 Answers ]

My son has become very angry and abusive to his parents, because he claims that the private high school he helped select is an awful place. He is a sophomore this year. He said he didn't like the schhol last year, but had a pretty good year, got good grades, played fottball, and made friends. This...

6 year old son and school [ 7 Answers ]

As a mother of only one child, how do I respond and should I deal with my son and with teacher as the teacher told me that my son does not respect the teacher because he plays and make funny things in his face and mouth while she explain? Also, the teacher told me that my only son has stolen...

14 yr old son will not go to school [ 24 Answers ]

My hard to control 14 year old son stays up late and will not get out of bed for school. He has always had a problem with authority and unless teachers or parents are speaking to him in a way that he likes, he rebels. He does not treat his parents with respect. I'm afraid he is ruining his...

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

View more questions Search