Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheffie Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Nov 27, 2007, 09:12 AM
    What is the paper that was included with the summons titled VERIFICATION is it just a statement saying that they are the Attorney for the bank?
    VERIFICATION
    I atty name Attorny for the Plaintiff, hereby state:

1. I am the attorney for the plaintiff in this action, and I sign this Verification stating that Plaintiff is out of the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth;

2. I verify that the statements made in the foregoing Complaint are true and correct to the best of my knowledge, information and belief; and

3. I understand that the statements in said complaint are made subject to the penalties of 18 Pa.C.S Sec. 4904 relating to unsworn falsification to authorities.

signed and dated

I want to have my facts straight before I call them

Nov 27, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Also included was a affidavit of indeptedness
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
    The paper is just the attorney saying the facts in the complaint are true. Doesn't work as proof to the court.

You don't give them any info until they verify the debt.

Nov 28, 2007, 08:55 AM
    I called them and they stated that they are the ones filing the law suit and stated the amount on the suit and it includes their fees and asked me how I wanted to handle it,
    Me: I'm not sure if it's a valid account
    Them: I see, do you remember having a mastercard account with said bank
    Me: I'm not sure
    Them: well we have documentation that you did.
    Me: I'm not sure,
    Them: are you sure about that
    Me: I'm totally clueless about this whole thing
    Them: I see, well we just continue with the process and possibly get a lien on your home.
    Me: well I'm not sure about any of this.
    Them: have a nice day.
    Me: you too.

My nerves are setting in.

Nov 28, 2007, 08:58 AM
    What you should have said was:

Them: well we have documentation that you did.
    Me: well, can you send me copies of that documentation? If you can prove to me that I owe this money, I may be willing to work out a settlement.

Nov 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Should I call them back, or did I shoot myself in the foot

Nov 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I would call him back and tell him as you told him this is all new to you. But after thinking about it, you don't want to renege on a valid debt, so if they can send you the documentation you can then determine whether you really do owe this money.

Nov 28, 2007, 09:39 AM
    I called back and said what you advised
    They offered a settlement of 11,500.00 due by the end of the month so go get your check book and write the check for 11, 500.00, because it seems that I have a problem with the amount owed, I said that I'm not sure if I can come up with that kind of money if it is a valid debt. They said I have until 4pm to come up with it. I said that I am still going continue with my legal obligation and file my defense, they said well we will put a note in your file not to offer a settlement.

It seems I dig myself deeper and deeper every time I talk to them.

Nov 28, 2007, 09:59 AM
    They can say anything they want. They are going to try and fluster and intimidate you. Your answer to their settlement offer should have been, that you do not know this is a vaild debt, therefore you cannot accept any settlement offer until you have seen proof.

If they want to play hardball then ignore them and tell them they have to produce verification of the debt before we go any further.

Nov 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I was talking to one woman about seeing if it was valid and that I wanted proof about it and she was going through the file and thinking out loud I was writing down what I could hear and she said last payment date nov.3rd and quickly asked me to hold, then this other woman got on the phone being very mean and was demanding the above.

Nov 28, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Then stop calling and file your intent to defend. Send a copy to them along with a request for verification.

Nov 29, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Scott,

I did file yesterday as you wrote your response. I am sending their copy off today with a letter for verification.

Will this be good?
    "This is a request for Verification of the alleged debt.
    If such provided verification is a matter of fact I would be willing to settle this matter".

Sorry if I am frustrating you

Nov 29, 2007, 08:26 AM
    That sounds fine

Dec 11, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Scott,

I have not received any verification from them as of today, Should I be doing anything like a second request or be more specific about what I require. Also should I've had sent a copy to the courts? They keep calling with a automated caller at the end of the message it states "this message is from a debt collector". One message that they left they stated they had "good news".

Dec 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Did you include in the letter to only contact you by mail? And yes you should copy the court in. Don't bother with a follow-up. Wait for the hearing.

Dec 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
    No, I did not place restrictions on means of contact, I will send a copy to the courts, I am thinking to see what the offer is and provided I can swing the offer I'll just settle it, should I say that I will think about the offer if it's in writing?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Here is for Pa,

Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations

Contracts: 4 years, (used to be six).

Contracts under seal: 20 years.

Sale of goods under UCC: 4 years.

Negotiable instruments: 6 years (13 PA C.S.A. . §3118).

Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state

Dec 19, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    here is for Pa,

Pennsylvania Statute of Limitations

Contracts: 4 years, (used to be six).

Contracts under seal: 20 years.

Sale of goods under UCC: 4 years.

Negotiable instruments: 6 years (13 PA C.S.A. .§3118).

Debt collection statute of limitations listed by state

Thanks for the info, If in fact it is from the last payment and/or activity I do not think they really have a case. I think maybe I should request discovery to see. I'd like to settle but I don't know if taking cash advances from other credit cards is the way to go to settle this out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Judge Counterclaim Written Response Credit Card Debt Lawsuit Court [ 6 Answers ]

I am being sued by Zwicker and Associates for a debt they claim I owe. It is around $11750.00 I did show up for court. The judge stated that within 14 days I must file a counterclaim and that Zwicker must provide proof of debt. They have broken various aspects of the Fair Debt Collections Act. How...

Do I have a Lawsuit against credit card company [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I had a credit card with chase for a long time,over 15 years I believe. My husband is havig an affair with another women and took out credit card in his name using her address and phone number.Chase can see there are 3 credit cards,One in my name and two has her name and address. ...

Credit Card lawsuit in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas, are there any laws protecting me from credit card lawsuits? What can't they take I

Lawsuit concerning credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued in local court by a lawyer representing a credit card company for a outstanding balance owed, with the last activity being 2 months short of 4 years. The amount I am being sued for has ballooned to over $3000.00 more than the original debt without including lawyer's fees in the...

View more questions Search