Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2005, 09:38 AM
    What about potty training?
    My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:
    letmeno Posts: 215, Reputation: 23

Nov 29, 2005, 10:21 AM
    My 2 1/2 yr old is not potty trained yet either. He is stubborn, and will not tell you when he has to potty, but is smart enough to bring the pamper when he knows he needs to be changed. He screams and cries when it is time to sit on the toilet (he is bigger than the average 2 yr old, potties are too small for him) we praise him when he does the do in the toilet, hi fives and yahoo's and everything but we just cant' get him to offer the information that he has to use the bathroom. Nana, if you come up with anything could you please e-mail me and letmeno
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2005, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanna
    My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:
    I would imagine that your situation is too specific for anyone here to have any prior experience with it. For my two kids I made them aware of what we would like them to do, had the potty out and ready for them, and waited for their natural instincts and timing to take over. Kids natuarlly want to be independent if they are in a loving and nurturing environment. Throw ADHD and bipolar in the mix and that changes things. I would ask your doctor/pediatrician for their advice.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Nov 29, 2005, 10:56 AM
    Hello Ladies- A few years ago one of my good friends purchased some kind of little magic tablet that you put in the toilet before they sit down and when they pee, it changes the color of the water. Her son loved the fact that he thought he was a little wizard or something. I believe she said they come in different colors and could be ordered on the internet. I'll contact her and see if I can get more info on it. Pampers.com also has an interesting little site. Good luck, I'll be on that road in a couple of months, my son is 18 months now.
    Jilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2005, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by momincali
    Hello Ladies- A few years ago one of my good friends purchased some kind of little magic tablet that you put in the toilet before they sit down and when they pee, it changes the color of the water. Her son loved the fact that he thought he was a little wizard or something. I believe she said they come in different colors and could be ordered on the internet. I'll contact her and see if I can get more info on it. Pampers.com also has an interesting little site. Good luck, I'll be on that road in a couple of months, my son is 18 months now.
    Hello! I'm new here and I found this post through Google. I'm wondering if you ever found what this product is? I'm currently potty training my autistic 4 year old and have been looking for something like this. Thanks! :)
    lil miss vixen Posts: 49, Reputation: 0

Dec 31, 2005, 02:26 PM
    Not a mom.
    I'm not a mom, but I know I was quite the little kid. I wouldn't tell when I needed to go, and it didn't bother me to 'sit in it' one day my mom came home with these really neat stickers, and she used them as a bribing method, seeing is how these children are autistic/bipolar, I don't know if my mothers method would work or not. But stickers only cost a trip to the dollar store, and worth a shot, right?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2005, 09:26 PM
    5 year old
    I believe the specific medical issues need to be addressed. I may be incorrect since I am not a ADHD expert by any means. But perhaps you need to get a professonal to help with some of the issues.
    macinport Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 08:31 AM
    My son is ADHD and is also five years old. We had tried everything under the sun to get him to train. He has the skills but just won't use them. I recently read a few articles on potty training autistic children and we are having more success with these methods. ADHD kids crave rigid structure and routine - make potty time the same time every day and develop a signal to let them know it's time (ie. Chime a bell or jingle some bells - whatever works) - if they refuse to sit on the toilet just wait thirty minutes and try again (they have short attention spans so thirty minutes should be enough to forget the previous refusal). Put some things in the bathroom to make it enjoyable (ie. Books, little toy they can hold onto which can slowly be removed later). We're not there yet but hopefully some of this works - just remember the three p's - patience, persistence, and practise.
    cdupre70301 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2010, 01:32 PM

You should bring your child to a professional.
    lickemlolly Posts: 397, Reputation: 62

Aug 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
    OK maybe this will help you a bit... I have 2 children neither with any disorders... my son didn't start using the potty until he was almost 4... I tried everything I could with him and I just wouldn't work he physically wouldn't go until HE was ready to go.. the only thing I could do was continuously take him to the potty and one day he just decided he was going to do it.. now my daughter decided she was ready to do it just shy of 2 1/2... really depends on the child... ur child's disability and it may not... keep in mind every child is different and you can't force them to do what they aren't ready to do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty Training [ 2 Answers ]

My female miniature daschund has been with me for 1 month. My mom think scolding her and spanking her is how you train a dog. Whenever she comes in the house she eventually pees or poops if we don't get her outside imeditly. She is always desperate to find a way inside the house or she begs at the...

Help potty training a adult cat [ 3 Answers ]

Recently a cat wandered into our house. We tried to find its owners but to no avail. Now the cat lives with us but it will only "partially" use the litter box. In other words it will do number 1 in the litter box but wont do number 2 in it. Is there any way I can at least try to get the cat to go...

Upstairs potty training [ 3 Answers ]

Last week we brought home our 8 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. We were advised to try crate training and it seemed to be going well. She loves her crate though we can't close the door on her yet. The problem is that we live in a house with a large flight of stairs to get out into the back yard and...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search