Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Yes, they can forbide them from telling you to >>>>>>> but I would not care if they told me a happy ramadan, or even a happy solstice,
    ( Ok, I would have issues with that Kwanza, but we can address that in a separate thread latter if anyone wants to)

The idea is freedom of religion, not freedom of all but christian religions.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Dec 27, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    I agree, Chuck, employers should not forbid their employees from saying "Merry Christmas" "Happy Ramadan" or simply "Have a nice day". But if one takes issue with that, they should address the organization, not the individual.
    That's what I was trying to say.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 01:41 AM
    I think people are reiterating the same ideas here.

1. Christians want their holiday recognized as the major one of the season.
    2. No one believes that saying "Merry Christmas" is the equivalent of a 4 letter word.
    3. Non-Christians just want the same respect for THEIR holidays as Christians get. Note that this is NOT saying that Christians should go out of their way to celebrate these other holidays--just that if someone wishes you "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Solstice" it should be taken in the way it's offered, not as an undermining of the Christian faith.

I *would* like to note one thing, here, though: Christian posters have brought up that Christmas is recognized by our government as a secular holiday. This is true, but probably NOT for the reasons you wish. It's not because our government is Christian, and it's not because "everyone essentially celebrates Christmas". It's because, with Christians being in the majority in our country, half of the government employees would call in sick every year on Christmas, and nothing would get done anyway. So--why NOT just give them the day off as one of their 12 holidays, or however many it is.

I worked for the state at one point, in the Admissions office of a major university. As a non-Christian, I was generally the skeleton crew on Christian holidays (INCLUDING Christmas), and in exchange I got MY major holidays off. If you are a non-Christian, there is generally something you can do for your place of business on Christian holidays, and most employers are HAPPY to let you work on Christian holidays in exchange for your own holidays off. One girl always took the 8 days of Hannukah off, and worked the phones the week of Christmas. My boss was happy to let me work a Saturday in exchange for the day after a major celebration (as many of my celebrations are done at night). So--it's NOT because our government is Christian--it's because 81% of the employees wouldn't be there anyway, so it's easier to just schedule it as a day off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

She wants me to be "happy" yet won't take me back [ 1 Answers ]

Im not going to contact her... like I said. But here's another idea ID appreciate a response to... I love fishing... I was thinking about buying a little flats boat... of course texted her about it.. she said CONGRATS! Then two days later I talked to her and she said that I was just doing that to...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search