Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2007, 03:36 PM
    "Happy Holidays"?
    Okay, I wanted more opinions on this. My mom got this email and sent it to me:

'Twas the month before Christmas when all through our
    land, Not a Christian was praying nor taking a stand.

Why the PC Police had taken away,
    The reason for Christmas - no one could say.

The children were told by their schools not to sing,
    About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.

It might hurt people's feelings, the
    teachers would say December 25th is just a " Holiday".

Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and
    credit Pushing folks down to the floor just to get at it!

CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-pod
    Something was changing, something quite odd!

Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa In hopes to
    sell books by Franken & Fonda.

As Targets are hanging their trees upside down, At
    Lowe's the word Christmas - was no where to be found.

At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears You won't
    hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.

Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-is-ty
    Are words that were used to intimidate me.

Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen On
    Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Hillary Clinton !

At the top of the Senate, there arose
    such a clatter To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.

And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith,
    Forbidden to speak, of salvation and grace.

The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded
    The reason for the season, stopped before it started.

So as you celebrate "Winter Break" under your
    "DreamTree" Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.

Choose your words carefully, choose what you say
    I would rather say Happy whatever for each holiday then just say "Happy Holidays"
    If people get so offended by saying "Merry Chirstmas" Don't they know that some people get offended if you say Happy Holidays? What do you guys think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
    In the stores where they say happy holidays, I ask them "what holidays"
    And I won't just leave, I make them tell me exactly what are they wishing me. Yes I am a pain
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Don't most people get time off work during Christmas? Y'know, "holidays".
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:36 PM
    There is a Christian Church about every four blocks or so in every American city, town, or village...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Once Thanksgiving is over, I will begin celebrating the birth of my Savior. If that offends anybody, well there is a lot that offends me. One of the things is HalGivingChristYear. Could we not start one until the other is over?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 06:12 PM
    It is Merry Christmas for this family. I don't care how great a deal Wal-Mart (or any store) has this year but if I hear Happy Holidays, I will leave, like I did last year, and let the manager know why. I miss the children's Christmas programs, like we had when I was in school. Even the public schools could show a manger back then. I really think that if we cannot say Christmas, then there should not be a so called Christmas break - oh wait, that has now changed to Holiday break. I guess it is pick your holiday time now.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
    I think times should go back to the way the use to be... before there were issues of people being offended about every little thing...
    Because you know what... They are OFFENDING me with all their Bull Sh!t, all their whining and crying, all the complaining about having their feelings being hurt... oh boohoo!!
    They should grow up, mind their business, celebrate their holidays the way they want and let everyone else enjoy theirs the way they wish to...
    Stupid pathetic people so worried about "their preferences" not giving a crap about anyone else's... so HOHOHO Merry Christmas!!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
    I think the meaning of Christmas has been lost in the masses. Big corporations and money hungrey businesses is the way, and many people buy it in the masses. I hate, I do not use that word much but I hate what it has done to Christmas.

I wish we would go back to the days where we all knew the true meaning of Christmas and celebrate with family.

Akaetrue, just want to say way to go. Love it.

By the way, Merry Christmas to everybody here. (; It is about celebration and our human family.

Joe
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Merry Christmas, Happy Easter and be sure to wear the red, white and blue and wave your flag on July 4! And if that offends anybody, tough! "Diversity" , "Sensitivity" and "Inclusiveness" are just a bunch of nonsense, made-up words that have no place in my country!
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Nov 20, 2007, 07:27 PM
    How ironic... These very stores that took out Christ from the Christmas holiday are very glad to take the money of those of us who do celebrate Christmas. There are even very many people who celabrate Christmas, but don't believe in Christ. What is that? Ignorance I tell you!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    in the stores where they say happy holidays, I ask them "what holidays"
    and I won't just leave, I make them tell me exactly what are they wishing me. yes I am a pain
    Make them, in the stores, understand the trapping of what they are trying to sell us. If they don't acknowledge the purpose of the holiday, then try shopping somewhere else. This isn't supposed to be a commercial holiday!!

I'll stick with,
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Nov 20, 2007, 08:19 PM
    When someone says Happy Holidays to me I just say Merry Christmas back. It does bother me to hear "Happy Holidays" instead of a specific celebrated day, but I don't get too worked up over it. I guess because I get where they are coming from. When the topic of the "Holiday party" comes up at work, I make a point of always calling it the Christmas party. I think people at work get where I am coming from too.

I guess I'm saying if you celebrate Christmas then say it. If you celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanza, or any other religious event, then say it and be proud!

Nov 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    in the stores where they say happy holidays, I ask them "what holidays"
    and I won't just leave, I make them tell me exactly what are they wishing me. yes I am a pain

Right on! ^__^

Last year my mom went to a dollar store and the lady said "Happy Holidays" my mom started to say it then said "No! Its Merry Christmas. Have a Merry Christmas!" And she looked shocked and then said "Merry Christmas" The stores tell them to say that! That's unbelivable. I get offended when they say it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Happy Hanukkah!
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Nov 21, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Why bother saying anything other than "hello" or "have a nice day" at all? You never know who does or doesn't celebrate the holidays, so isn't it a safe bet that everyone would rather just hear those common, regular greetings?
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 23, 2007, 02:05 PM
    I really disagree with a lot of the anger and frustration revolving around this issue.

Here in the US, your can NO LONGER PRETEND TO BE MARTYRS FOR YOUR BELIEFS. THE WORLD IS NOT OUT TO GET YOU. STOP LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!

Nobody is picking on you by trying to include others who don't agree with you or share your beliefs. Nobody is putting down your holiday by not saying it by name- they're simply acknowledging the fact that our country is not a Theocracy, not everyone celebrates Christmas- so why make that assumption?

People who are shopping at this time of year could be doing so for a number of reasons- how is a store associate supposed to know what religion each customer they encounter is a member of, which holiday each customer celebrates and how to adequately wish that customer an enjoyable holiday season? And, on top of that, why give the associate a hard time? If you're so against the consumerism of the season, why would you put a minimum wage over-worked employee through hell for a policy that they didn't implement, and which they would likely lose their jobs for breaking? That's just the spirit of christmas these days, I suppose, hmm?

I would think it odd for someone to wish me a merry christmas if I were in a store- how do they know I'm not Jewish? Muslim? Or hell, even an atheist?

I would be insulted that someone would make an assumption about my religious beliefs, and actually am happy that people use more generic terms when wishing me well. In a situation where we don't have much time to get to know someone on a personal level, a wish of happiness during a season where many people are celebrating SOMETHING is welcome in my book.

Demanding that everyone acknowledge that it's the CHRISTMAS season implies that there is very little respect for those of other religious beliefs- while it may be the christmas season for you, it is NOT for everyone else. When do others get to demand, say, the Happy Chaunnuka they deserve? Are their beliefs not as signifcant as yours?

Why people focus so much on this is beyond me. Do you think Jesus would really give two s if people said 'Merry Christmas', 'Happy Channuka', 'Happy Ramadan', 'Happy Quanza', 'Happy Winter Solstice'... as long as they were being good to one another, loving each other, and wishing each other well? Would Jesus become as irate as many Christians I've seen over this issue?

We have no right and no place to mandate the religious beliefs of others- nor to mandate the holidays other people celebrate- so why make generalizations that may offend others? If you're offended by not being acknowledge directly, imagine the offense to those who are directly excluded in a 'Merry Christmas' wish-

Please.

I really think that there are bigger battles to fight than this, don't you?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
    You'll all be happy to know my local Target has very large "Merry Christmas" signs hanging in the store.

You'll also be happy to know that not once did I verbally abuse an employee, nor complain to the management for their obvious commitment to one religion over others. I paid for my snow boots and went on my way.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Nov 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margog85
    I really disagree with a lot of the anger and frustration revolving around this issue.

Here in the US, your can NO LONGER PRETEND TO BE MARTYRS FOR YOUR BELIEFS. THE WORLD IS NOT OUT TO GET YOU. STOP LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!

Nobody is picking on you by trying to include others who don't agree with you or share your beliefs. Nobody is putting down your holiday by not saying it by name- they're simply acknowledging the fact that our country is not a Theocracy, not everyone celebrates Christmas- so why make that assumption?

People who are shopping at this time of year could be doing so for a number of reasons- how is a store associate supposed to know what religion each customer they encounter is a member of, which holiday each customer celebrates and how to adequately wish that customer an enjoyable holiday season? And, on top of that, why give the associate a hard time? If you're so against the consumerism of the season, why would you put a minimum wage over-worked employee through hell for a policy that they didn't implement, and which they would likely lose their jobs for breaking? That's just the spirit of christmas these days, I suppose, hmm?

I would think it odd for someone to wish me a merry christmas if I were in a store- how do they know I'm not Jewish? Muslim? Or hell, even an atheist?

I would be insulted that someone would make an assumption about my religious beliefs, and actually am happy that people use more generic terms when wishing me well. In a situation where we don't have much time to get to know someone on a personal level, a wish of happiness during a season where many people are celebrating SOMETHING is welcome in my book.

Demanding that everyone acknowledge that it's the CHRISTMAS season implies that there is very little respect for those of other religious beliefs- while it may be the christmas season for you, it is NOT for everyone else. When do others get to demand, say, the Happy Chaunnuka they deserve? Are their beliefs not as signifcant as yours?

Why people focus so much on this is beyond me. Do you think Jesus would really give two s if people said 'Merry Christmas', 'Happy Channuka', 'Happy Ramadan', 'Happy Quanza', 'Happy Winter Solstice'... as long as they were being good to one another, loving eachother, and wishing eachother well? Would Jesus become as irate as many Christians I've seen over this issue?

We have no right and no place to mandate the religious beliefs of others- nor to mandate the holidays other people celebrate- so why make generalizations that may offend others? If you're offended by not being acknowledge directly, imagine the offense to those who are directly excluded in a 'Merry Christmas' wish-

Please.

I really think that there are bigger battles to fight than this, don't you?
    Who said it was a big deal? We were simply discussing it.
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Nov 23, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Refusing to leave a store until some tells you what holiday they're wishing is happy... leaving stores where people aren't wished a merry christmas...
    That's making a big deal out of it.
    Making people uncomfortable for trying to be inclusive-
    Is that really the christian thing to do?

Nov 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by margog85
    Refusing to leave a store until some tells you what holiday they're wishing is happy... leaving stores where people aren't wished a merry christmas...
    That's making a big deal out of it.
    Making people uncomfortable for trying to be inclusive-
    is that really the christian thing to do?

The larger majority of people celebrate Chirstmas. That's why a lot of people are fustrated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

She wants me to be "happy" yet won't take me back [ 1 Answers ]

Im not going to contact her... like I said. But here's another idea ID appreciate a response to... I love fishing... I was thinking about buying a little flats boat... of course texted her about it.. she said CONGRATS! Then two days later I talked to her and she said that I was just doing that to...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search