Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rmull Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Installing Closet Flange on Concrete floor
    I'm installing a basement bath and have a ceramic floor installed up right around a 4 inch PVC soil drain for my toilet. The floor is laid directly on the concrete.

I intend to use a flange that can be glued inside the 4" PVC for the toilet. I'm wondering if the concrete flooor will give enough support to the flange without additional bolts in this case. I will be using plumbers Putty and cauke to additionally secure the toilet in place.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 20, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmull
    I'm installing a basement bath and have a ceramic floor installed up right around a 4 inch PVC soil drain for my toilet. The floor is layed directly on the concrete.
    I intend to use a flange that can be glued inside the 4" PVC for the toilet. I'm wondering if the concrete flooor will give enough support to the flange without additional bolts in this case. I will be using plumbers Putty and cauke to additionally secure the toilet in place.
    There should be no problem about the cement floor both supporting and securing the flange. Are you using a putty ring instead of a wax seal? Regards, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 20, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Are you saying that you do not intend to bolt the toilet to the floor? The flange will be secure and hold the weight. Caulk and putty will not keep the toilet from tilting and losing its seal. What is your answer to Tom's question about the wax ring?

I also do a great deal of tiling. Did you test your floor for moisture before setting the tiles and did you use unmodified thinset? Most people who have ceramic on concrete regret the decision if you are in the mid west or north east. Too cold and slippery damp.
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 20, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Use A Wax Ring And Use Closet Bolts Your Done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What height should the Closet Flange Extension be, from the top of the tile/floor? [ 5 Answers ]

I got a “Closet Flange Extension Kit” from Home Depot and it has 2 rings. One is ¼ inch and the other is a ½ inch; so basically I want to know which one to use. The current/original flange that is installed on the sub-floor is level with the top of the tile. The tile is just that 12” square...

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

Concrete slab:Toilet flange below floor level [ 4 Answers ]

I am Installing a hardwood floor on a concrete slab. In order for that type of installation I will need to build up the sub-floor with 1/4 plywood alone with 3/4 hardwood floor. I am installing this in the bathroom. The flange of for the toilet will be about an 1" below the floor level. How do I...

Installing a closet flange [ 2 Answers ]

I've had to replace a section of the subfloor in my bathroom because the original construction crew 15 years ago broke the closet flange hammering in nails to seat it on the floor (instead of screwing it down) - it leaked for 15 years under the linoleum until mildew stains came through and I knew I...

Closet flange below floor [ 1 Answers ]

First of all, great forum! I am installing a new toilet, but the floor has been built up over the years- two different times with 3/4 inch plywood panels. The original flange was never raised when this was done. I stand about 6'4" tall and my aim has gotten pretty good over the years, but as I age,...

View more questions Search