Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Nov 28, 2005, 10:06 PM
    How to network my PCs..
    I thought I know something about networking but when I have to network my PCs, I can't... I need help guys I guess there such thing as series and parallel connection about net working just like in electrical am I right?. Here where it started, from now on I just have 2 PCs, needed to connect... 1 modem used for my internet... I tray to share this net to the other PC but how?. any help from you guys... Please...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 02:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by avel
    I thought i know something about networking but when i have to network my PCs, i can't... I need help guys i guess there such thing as series and parallel connection about net working just like in electrical am i right?... Here where it started, from now on i just have 2 PCs, needed to connect... 1 modem used for my internet... I tray to share this net to the other PC but how?... any help from you guys... Please...
    I think you are getting slightly confused with seies/parallel connections, they are not used in computer networking.

Ok so you have 2 pc's and 1 net connection, I would recommend an Internet Gateway Router.
    This is a nice little box where you plug internet in one side and you can then share the connection to all the computers that are plugged into.
    Also most come with added security features, best of all is a hardware firewall.
    Here's a couple of examples, olthough others brands are round:

This one is for ADSL connections comes with an inbuilt ADSL modem and firewall plus a few other security bits.
    This one is for Cable internet , as you can see this one uses your own modem for connection, but is functionally the same as the ADSL one.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Nov 29, 2005, 10:05 PM
    Gee thanxz... I'll get a router, but why is it some don't use router but they have network to their pc's... and its more than 2 pc's... how is that?.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 30, 2005, 07:41 AM
    There are other ways of networking PC's but the tidiest method for home use is a gateway router as I mentioned as all your networking is done by one box. Nice and simple.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2005, 08:13 AM
    I'm getting form your post that you have dial-up internet access, is this correct?

Perhaps the method you are looking for is to use Internet Connection Sharing which is part of Windows and use a cross-over ethernet cable to connect the 2 computers if they both have network cards.

Dec 1, 2005, 01:35 AM
    I guess so dial-up is what I have but NeedKarma how is that you were saying..
    Cable and cards?. :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't network my 2 PC... [ 33 Answers ]

I'm here again :), I want to ask how can I network my two PC I'm not using router, I'm just use a cable I already connected the two PC but seems they don't seen/locate each other does it something about what I'm using? Cause I'm using Win XP and the other is Win 2000... :confused: Please...

Network using XP(SP2) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small workshop repairing computers and I am facing with the following problem: I have a PC which has two network cards:one card is connected to the DSL modem and the other card is connected to a hub.I am using internet connection sharing in order for other computers to be able to have...

Xp network [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to setup a home network. I have done everything I no how but the status says "Limited or No connectivity" I could use any help anyone could give me. Thanks

View more questions Search