Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meghanathareddyk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 03:20 AM
    Human hair
    Is there any biological importance to human hair?
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Nov 20, 2007, 03:37 AM
    Hair on some parts of your body is there for a reason:
    Eye-lashes and eyebrows help to protect your eyes (believe it or not, eyebrows actually have a function for more than being raised whenever someone says something stupid).
    Hairs in your nose and ears are intended to prevent foreign matter from getting in and causing damage.
    Hair in the groin and armpits has a very old biological function that helps to regulate the temperature of certain glands and to collect scent to "attract" a mate (although most people now associate this smell with being dirty rather than with hormonal and chemical attraction).
    The tiny hairs all over your body are intended to help regulate body temperature (although there are so few of them that it hardly makes a difference in this regard), increase sensitvity (you'll notice that if you shave your legs they will lose sensitivity to light touches) and to give extra protection from minor abrasions.
    Men's beards are apparently a primordial symbol of masculinity that is used to attract a mate and to dominate other males (much like a lion's mane), but socially there no longer have this function.
    As for the hair on your head... I have absolutely no idea.
    Kal

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human ashes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, My friend recently lost her partner and later he was cremated, his mother was still the 'next of kin', therefore she received the ashes. Then over a week later, the mother in law gave my friend half of the ashes to keep. The ashes look like gravel and not the powder that we expected....

Human resources [ 1 Answers ]

What are the roles of Human Resources manager in employee and industrial relationship with specific emphasis to the union and management relationship in an Organization?

Human Resources [ 7 Answers ]

Hello to you, and thanks again for taking the time to view and answer my questions - this is awsome!! I just found out I’m pregnant (Happy). I went through my employee handbook to find out what is said about maternity leave and to my surprise; there is little to nothing at all. My human...

Human Dignity [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, During WW-II many Christians were sent to Nazi camps because of their beliefs. They were remarkable in that they demenstrated their integrity to God. It was not easy because they were abused, women had their hair cut off and everything they owned or loved were stripped from them....

I am only human [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Ok, I blew it. I contacted my ex after a 3 week period of no contact. I feel like crap and I am beating myself up. I had a lot of support from all of you, and I appreciate it. But, I do make mistakes. She didn't have time for me and said she said she didn't have time to contact...

View more questions Search