Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NOTLD Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 12:42 AM
    "A" frame attic insulation and venting
    I am converting my "A" frame attic into a living space. The joists stick out 5" from the roof and are 22" apart. It's an old house and measurements change give or take a half inch from joist to joist. Even though there is no ridge vent there are roof louvers about 3 ' from the peak. I can only find the pink insulation in 15" widths so it is too narrow for a perfect fit between them. I figure the 3 and 1/2 inch thickness will be okay and allow space for air to flow. Not sure if it should be faced or not ( I live in PA if that helps). The roof goes right to the edge of the house so there are no soffit vents. I attached a very crude sketch with two of the ideas I have for insulation. The third would be combining both and insulate both the roof and walls. What type of insulation should I use (the pink stuff, blue styrofoam, etc) and how, plus will the venting be enough or should I ad an exhaust fan of some type? The roof is 32' X 28". I have 6 of the roof louvers to vent it now (2 on each side of my "T" shaped attic). I also though maybye gable vents might work even better since my house is old and dips in the middle a little allowing for more hot air flow towards the ends of the roof. I'm sure they have to be cheaper than ridge venting the whole thing. Thank you for any help or ideas on any of these issues.
    Attached Images

KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:51 AM
    It looks like you are going to make living space in the attic?

If so, you need to find 22 1/2" insulation,preferably faced.something you can staple to the rafters(3 1/2" should do) Otherwise, a solid insulation board(which I used for my barn/home,which has a R7 per inch, it is called polyisocyanurate, and can be found through some suppliers and with that R value is by far the best I have used for the money.

Insulating the floor spaces can be done with blown insulation, 12-16 inches or more if you can, without too much undue run over, blown in is easy and efficient.

Venting is adequate, as you stated, you already have vents in the 32 foot ridge? That's plenty. Gable vents are not necessary, but if you want, install,I don't see them as needed because you have enough with the others.

Hope this helps,

Ken
    NOTLD Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Comment on KBC's post
    Answered all my questions and has experience with his recommendations
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Nov 21, 2007, 09:43 PM
    Try to add some soffit vents and make sure that there is airspace between the roof deck and insulation. If you don't ensure adequate insulation that space will be an oven.
    sheride Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 01:42 PM
    I live in a frame with 26 ft ceiling at the peak and the walls leading up to the peak also serve as my interior walls. The attic under the peak also is floored and I can stand erect in this area. Very little insulation in the attic and a light coating in the exterior walls. Whatever they used 40 yrs ago when home was built. Getting ready to replace the original roof (yes I did say 40 yrs old I only have vents in the peaks on both sides which is also screened to allow ventilation. First question is will I need a ridge vent? Second question is how would I insulate the walls(ceilings) going up to the peak as they act as interior walls. Would I insulate them and if so will my home still breath? Or should I just do the attic? Thank you in advance for your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Photoshop (Elements) "frame" effect. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm using PE 5.0... trying to find the filter or effect that does this: http://www.kameyhawk.com/xSites/Agents/kameyhawk/Content/UploadedFiles/Kamey_Hawk_Framed_1-1.gif I've googled and searched the Help but coming up empty... maybe cause I don't even know what to call it. Any ideas how I...

Proper venting & using a "Sure-Vent" [ 2 Answers ]

I've attached a PDF showing the layout I'm working with. The items in red are what I would like to add (for a new bar sink). From what I've read online and with checking with local plumbers and since I'm more than 3-1/2' from the main 2" drain line (and I'm using 1 1/2" pipe), I have to vent the...

MAYBE "Psycho in the attic"? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- I saw a movie about three or less weeks ago. I do not remember if it was on DVD or TV. It was about a father his 16 year old daughter and I believe 12-13 year old son who moved up state to be near their mom which was put into a mental health ward. This family moved into an older farm two...

How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references" [ 4 Answers ]

Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe 1> A gun 2> A bullet already fired 3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have...

You guys are going to get sick of me here... "WET VENTING"? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so picture this with me here... (sorry for the poor diagram) I'm putting in a bathroom in my basement. The waste stack comes into the floor right next to the exterior wall. #1) I'm going to put my toilet next to that. I can just join that to the main waste with a "Y" right? No vent...

View more questions Search