Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stapitt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 08:11 PM
    14 months and not walking?
    My first child just turned 14 months old, and she has still made absolutely no attempt at walking on her own. She has stood up holding onto something, then let go for a few seconds, but seems to panic when she realizes she's not being held up by anything. She doesn't mind walking holding on to my hands, or my husband's hands, but refuses to try anything close to it on her own.

Is this normal? She progressed really quickly with everything else, especially speech, but for some reason, we can't convince her to walk...

Any advise?
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Nov 19, 2007, 08:20 PM
    My son did not start walking until he was about 14-15 months old... but when he started boy he took off!! Get her one of those little trains or cars that they push and walk behind... that may give her a little bit more "courage" lol also does she go to daycare or is she around other babies her age much? My son was still in an infant class where all the other babies did not walk and when he moved up to the new class where he was the only baby who didn't walk... he HAD to learn how to walk to keep up with all the oher babies. Try to walk with her as much as possible... she will pick up, and then you will be racing to keep up with her lol! Good Luck and keep that little one safe... she will start getting all kinds of new boo boos when she starts walking.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:49 PM
    I was around 14 months old when I started walking with holding on to things. My grandmother often laughed as she told how I would always hold on to things to walk around. One day I was holding her slipper to give me that confidence. Well she let me go back and forth while holding on to it. Then she removed her foot without me knowing it, and I guess I walked all the way across the living room. She talked about that for years... even when I was in my twenties. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. Sounds like a very smart kid who may have learned not to let go or else a fall might happen.

Maybe make a game of it by first doing one small step from mom to dad with someone to catch her for reassurance for a cookie followed by lots of praise. Then two steps... even add a soft mat in case of a fall so no ouchy happens... but make it a fun game... Maybe even start the game out with jumping up and down, touching your nose, and stuff like that so that the focus isn't even on the walking... and no pressure... just little things to do... can you do this for a cookie... touch you tummy... give me five... touch my nose... then work in the come to me while you're a little ways away.. then touch your toes, point to daddy, get the ball... just stuff like that but be sure to work in the times when she needs to walk... have one person holding her hand or letting her hold them so that she is standing up so it won't be as easy for her to crawl...

Please let me know how it goes... and maybe even have someone take some pictures... It might make some great memories!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2007, 07:27 AM
    My daughter didn't start until she was 16 months old. We had visited her ped. For her 15 month check up and her doctor was a little concerned. But, the next month, she was on her way.
    My MIL told me my husband was the same way - he took his time with walking.

At this point, I would not worry. She will do it when she is ready. Just encourage her to stand and get comfortable. Those walk behind toys are great for that.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Nov 21, 2007, 10:38 AM
    My son didn't start walking until he was 16 months. He was a preemie though so we expected him to be a little slower at learning things and keeping up with kids his age. It was still hard for me and his father to deal with though knowing that all the kids his age were taking off walking at 11-12 months. The doctor told us a large majority of children, even the ones that aren't preemie, don't start walking until 14-16 months.

My husband and I would sit across from each other on the floor and let our son walk back and forth between us. He loved doing that and would take a couple steps in between us before getting to the other parent. It taught him that he doesn't have to hold on to something every time he takes a step.

Good Luck!
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 21, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Well, my son beats all the above, he didn't start walking until he was... wait for it... 18 months. We somehow feel a need to compare our children throughout their lives to their peers, with teething (my youngest is nearly 2 and still only has 2 at th bottom front and 2 at the back(top are almost all in)), walking, potty training, talking and then the really hard stuff begins.. school, then its reading, writing, socializing, confidence and much much more. My 2 eldest are at school (both of them in fact started walking at 18months)so its me and number three (who started walking at 11 months, I'm not showing off(",)) at home. I am much more relaxed about this one, which leaves me much more time to enjoy him, instead of fretting. He's dinky but he eats well and is a happy boy. So I guess where I'm going with this is try not to worry and enjoy! If there is something wrong they have a way of letting you know!
    When she does start walking you'll be longing for the days when she was less mobile and less into EVERYTHING.. he he he
    jp1 Posts: 49, Reputation: 6

Nov 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Myson was about 14 months when he started walking don't worrie too much about it she'l do it in her own time when she's ready,don't push her into it,but try you and your partner sitting on the floor your feet touching his so your legs make adiamond and 1 of you stand her up and turn her round facing you or your partner,have your arms out so she can grip your arms while walking to you or your partner,it helped get myson walking now he won't sit down for 5mins
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 09:28 AM

I think the best thing you can do is stop worrying about this. If she is normal in every other way, chances are good she will walk when she's ready. There's no reason to pressure babies to reach benchmarks. They do things when they are ready and I think the performance pressure is bad for them. They should walk, talk, eat, and play because they want to, not because mommy or daddy are worried. I pressured my two sons about potty training and now looking at my two teens, I wonder what the rush was about. What's a few months one way or the other? Your baby sounds healthy. Enjoy her!
    bambinokai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 05:07 PM

My son now three did start walk until the week before he turned 16mths . The all do things at their own pace xxxxxxxxxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stitch when walking [ 3 Answers ]

I keep getting a stitch whenever I walk I'm not speed walking as I sometimes do. But just walking normal pace and I get a stitch it doesent go away when I try breathing harder, I'm not unfit or overweight either. Do you know what could it be and if it is just a stitch, why? And when will it go...

Sleep Walking [ 2 Answers ]

Why should you never wake up a SLeep Walker? How is it even caused? It seems rather weird to walk and sleeeeep

Bleeding 3 months straight after depo shot 4 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

The birth control shot I got was supposed to be good for 3 months. I got it 4 months ago, so I realize it should have worn off by now. Everything was fine for the 1st month, but for the past 3 MONTHS, I my vagina has continually been bleeding. After it had been doing this for 3 weeks I called to...

How do you ask without being a nice guy and her walking on me. [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My name is Mark and I'm 27 years old. At the moment I am working and my girlfriend is 21 turning 22 in a month. I met her when she was 18 1/2 and we have been together 3 1/2 years. When we first met we both kind of played hard to get and adventually I got with her. After a bit I asked her to be...

F1 opt for 5 months h1b for 7 months [ 1 Answers ]

f1 OPT for 5 months H1b for 7 months How to file my Federal tax returns.

View more questions Search