Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airmotive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Waxy buil up in pipes leads to chronic clogs
    We have a 10 year old house. All the drains work fine except for the master bath - a two sink into one dain design. We've had to dump Draino into both sinks about every other month in order to unclog the drain. It will work great for a few weeks and then progressively slow until finally the sinks will hardly drain at all. Today I found the cause - a thick, white waxy build-up inside the drain pipe. After doing the Draino routine, the build-up was eaten back to allow about 1" clearance within the pipe. I cannot tell how far down this build-up goes (I assume to the main). It appears organic - yes, the blob is taking over our drains! However, in a few weeks, it has grown back and closed off the drain. It's only my wife and I, and she assures me nothing 'untoward' is going down the drain. How do we kill the blob?!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
    That blob is likely you so be nice. The waxy build up is nearly 100% human sink cells and body oil. Sounds terrible but that's what we folks do when we wash, we shed cells. Since it builds up so quickly I think someone (no names) is putting something extra down the sink, face cream, hand cream, etc... Whose side builds up debris more quickly? Here is a cheaper and safer treatment for each drain. Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of table salt together, dump half down each drain. Now add a 1/2 cup of vinegar to each drain and allow to sit overnight. In the AM dump a bucket of really hot water into each drain at the same time.
    plumberjames83 Posts: 99, Reputation: 5

Nov 19, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Ballenger stuff relly works... but I think he needs to shut up cause he will put people like me on welfare

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clear Waxy Substance On Root End of Hair [ 2 Answers ]

My little sister is a hair puller and I have noticed on the end of the roots of some of the pulled out hairs a clear waxy like substance that appears wet to the touch and I was wondering if this could be the sign of a scalp problem that may be causing itching or irritation and she is pulling the...

Frequent bathroom drain clogs [ 4 Answers ]

If I want to have a bathroom sink that drains, I have to have a plumber out once a month to clear the drain! He can't ever seem to find what's stuck inside so apparently whatever is causing the clog is getting pushed through when he snakes the drain out. Any ideas on what could be causing my...

Toilet flushes with hardly any power - everything clogs! [ 5 Answers ]

My toilet was making a continual buzzing sound and my brother replaced some pipe. As he did that he turned my water off etc. Now the buzzing sound is gone but then water was leaking at the bottom pipe that goes into the wall. So I turned off the water and thought that by lowering the water...

Toilet clogs often [ 13 Answers ]

Since I've moved into this house, the toilet backs up at least once a day. I've even purchased a new toilet, and have had the same problem. The plumber says he can find nothing wrong. The drain pipe from the toilet is 4", and not plastic. My children do not play near the toilet; my stack is...

Advice for preventing clogs from washer? [ 3 Answers ]

Speedball, you're my kind of guy. Advice to others here re washers backing up was really helpful. (Except for Fred, who suggested it was an infestation of Pipe Demons.) I can use strainers in the shower and kitchen sink, but no doubt my washer spews copious amounts of shredded kleenex, sock...

View more questions Search