Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassymama Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 07:25 AM
    Newspaper ads
    undefined
    Hey crankie baby
    OK if a man an woman separate, but have not filed for divorce or legal separation,is the man accountable for any bills ,wife has run up in his name? This wife said she was going to drain husband of money, by going to emergency rooms an doctors. When it is not warranted an saying husband is responsible party.
    Can a newspaper ad stating I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DEBTS INCURRED BY wife's name AS OF THIS DATE
    Am I making sense?
    undefined
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Ad
    Hi,
    I know I'm not crankiebaby, but now I understand more.
    The newspaper ads I've seen state:
    "I will not be responsible for any debts incurred by anyone other than myself".
    It should be legal from the date the newspaper posts it as an ad. But, again, I would check with a lawyer for professional advice.
    This is the ad my lawyer posts many yrs ago, before the "legal separation" stuff started.
    PS; after that first divorce (lasted 7 yrs), I remarried to a very wonderful woman, now going on 29 years.
    sassymama Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2005, 08:13 AM
    Yes fredq
    :) said I had to spread rep of others around before I could do yours again
    But you answered my question, sorry it took so many letters, I am new at this... thank you so much awesome day to you :cool:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2005, 08:44 AM
    Thank you
    Hi,
    Thank you.
    Welcome to this site. It's a great place, with some very good answers.
    Also, have you considered answering some yourself?
    I am sure you are very knowledgeable in some areas, too.
    After you log on, click on "New Posts" near the top. You can see which posts are "Today" and "Yesterday", which means most of these are new.
    Join in, answer some questions. It's a lot of fun, and there are some wonderful people here.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2005, 05:13 AM
    Fredg
    fredg is right. This is a wonderful site - full of wonderful people all wanting to help one another. I have been coping so much better with the help of fredg and others and I have been able to help so many others in sharing my experiences which is a really nice feeling.

I am really glad I joined this site!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2005, 05:44 AM
    Bills
    First it will vary from state to state, different states treat debt of a husband and wife separate. Next of course even if you are not responsible, the collection companies could wreck your credit before you can prove you are not. It may result in taking the collection and/or debtors into court to prove you were not living together. They may not merely take your word on it. They believe people lie for some reason.

Next why not file for divorce? Or at least file for a legal separation.
    That would solve all of the issues right there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search