Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caralyn Posts: 61, Reputation: 13

Nov 19, 2007, 08:10 AM
    I would like to see more on this. My daughter has a new computer and doesn’t like Vista and complains about it. I would like to be able to offer her some suggestions. Ways to get used to it, or some more information on how to reinstall windows XP would be very helpful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2007, 08:29 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Vista certainly takes some getting used to since things have been moved around and are not where they were with XP or earlier versions.

But what doesn't she like about it?

Dec 14, 2007, 01:53 AM
    ScottGem,

Sorry, I have only just found this. I think you were right. I think it was just a case of getting used to it. She's singing it's praises now. Lol
    Bdfoster31 Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2007, 02:26 AM
    My opinion is that Vista is truly a great OS, and like you said it is a little hard to get used to. At first it seems unintuitive, but when you get used to it everything makes more sense. I love Vista and would not work a day without it.
    Soundmanc Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 01:07 PM
    I'm on the opposite side of this. I agree that Microsoft has done some good things, and yes the new interface takes some getting used to.

The last 4 computers I have setup came with Vista, and within a week I was back in putting XP on them.

With 4 GB of Ram a computer should not be as slow as they were. Vista just bogged down everything. And don't even try to copy a file. It takes forever. Why did they take something as simple as a file copy, and make it into this huge ordeal.

I was an early adopter of Vista, and now it is not on my computer. I have removed it and put XP-64 edition on 5 computers so far, not including mine. Hopefully when SP1 is released it will solve some of these issues. I won't be reinstalling it until then.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Maybe learning more about Vista will help daughter change her mind

Microsoft Windows Vista Control Panel - New look AERO graphics. Network Section

Windows Vista: Help and How-to

Every new system needs to get bugs worked out

Jan 18, 2008, 07:52 AM
    biggsie,

I'll pass that on. She is getting on much better with it but she might still find things here that help. Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundmanc
    With 4 GB of Ram a computer should not be as slow as they were. Vista just bogged down everything. And don't even try to copy a file. It takes forever.
    Your problem is not with the OS in this case, there is something wrong with either your hardware or you have some application chewing up all the processor time. I have Vista on a Core 2 duo with 2GB of ram and it's as speedy as can be.
    Soundmanc Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Your problem is not with the OS in this case, there is something wrong with either your hardware or you have some application chewing up all the processor time. I have Vista on a Core 2 duo with 2GB of ram and it's as speedy as can be.
    Actually our problem was the OS. We ended up reinstalling Vista Ultimate on one of the 4GB laptops and it was still just as slow as before. We did some research, and ended up turning off 5 or 6 new Vista services and now vista is quick. Don't remember off hand what we turned off, but it changed things majorly.

I'm going to be bringing up about 3 more Vista machines next week. We will see if those services turned off will work for those also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundmanc
    ended up turning off 5 or 6 new Vista services and
    Doesn't necessarily mean the issue was Vista. Depends on what those services were.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 05:27 AM
    I do believe that I also turned off a few services that were on by default on my Vista setup (Home Premium). I didn't keep track of it since it's my personal home machine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using vista on XP [ 14 Answers ]

HI, I wanted to know whether I can use Vista ultimate on my system which is currently running XP SP2. If yes then how do I switch between two OS.

XP to Vista [ 1 Answers ]

Ok This is the situation Old Computer - Windows XP Home OE6 New Computer - Windows Vista - Microsoft Mail I saved all of the .dbx in OE6 (Including Folders.dbx) -I put all of the .dbx's on a CD-R disk -Copied Them To A Folder In Documents On Vista -I Ensure that the files are not read...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

View more questions Search