Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmd1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Re offending, ex offenders
    You meet a 22 year old homeless offender at the probation office who asks for help,

Before taking any action, what information would you want to know and why?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Before I would answer this, what kind of help is he asking for? Why is he asking you? Why is he homeless? Is he jobless also? Are you the P.O. or someone else that works there or someone who is just there, on coincidence?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmd1
    you meet a 22 year old homeless offender at the probation office who asks for help, before taking any action, what information would you want to know and why?
    Hello k:

I'd want to know where I parked my car and how long it'll take me to get there. Why? Because I'd like to leave as soon as I can - ALONE.

excon

Nov 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Didn't answer the question, instead poked fun. Pathetic

Nov 19, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Before I would answer this, what kind of help is he asking for? Why is he asking you? Why is he homeless? Is he jobless also? Are you the P.O. or someone else that works there or someone who is just there, on coincidence?
    The person is on probation and I am a project worker its an interview question, just wanted someone else's input, if the person has a job would be on the list of questions that I would ask, the offender wants my help to integrate him/her back into society:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Hello again, k:

I didn't know you were a professional. When I've visited my PO, I've run into all sorts of people that I'd rather not be around. Hence, my advice for an early exit. I wasn't poking fun. I was telling the truth in my own smart mouthed manner. But, it WAS the truth.

Of course, you should have told us that you were a professional. My response would have been different.

If you had, I would have told you to refer to the Probation Department Policy and Procedures Manual. I'm certain that it covers EXACTLY what information you are required to obtain. I'm also certain that it spells out the specific criteria for any action you might take too. You don't have a whole lot of latitude in what you can and can't do. Nor should you.

It appears that you haven't been trained properly. I would ask my supervisor for a copy of that manual. If the department you work for doesn't HAVE a manual, then I'd quit and find a department that did.

I say this, because if you deal wrongly with a sex offender, you're liable to screw him up. But, more importantly, you're liable to screw YOURSELF up.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
    I ditto excon's remarks. You should have had the training necessary to do your job and you should have some policies and procedures in writing to back up what you ask.

Your first question almost seems deliberately vague.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sex Offenders [ 19 Answers ]

Hello: I don't happen to be a sex offender - but I could be. Yes, I've wizzed in public, and yes, I went further with some girls after they said no. You?? Or are you pure? excon

Sex offenders rights [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter's offender just served 3 years in prison for what he did to her. He was released in October 2005 and his 'level' has yet to be classified as a 1, 2, or 3. I contacted the D.A. in early December at the advice of the NYS Sex Offender Registry and was told that all arguments have been made...

Juvenile offenders [ 1 Answers ]

What are constitutional rights that adult offenders have in their criminal case, but juvenile offenders do not?

Sex Offenders [ 17 Answers ]

Are registered sex offenders allowed in public schools? What if the offender is the parent of a student? Do the laws on this change from state to state or is there a general rule of thumb among all of them? EDIT~ Let me rephrase this then because this is not anawering my question... I know...

View more questions Search