Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria06 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 02:45 AM
    Anyone out there the same?
    Is anyone out there trying to conceive and has a really short luteal phase. I only have 9 or 10 days after ovulation until I bleed! I have a 19 month old and have had several miscarriages in the last year since Trying to conceive again and have noticed that the months I chart I have very short time before my period comes after I ovulate. My doc has checked my clotting and they all seem normal so could this be the cause - a short luteal phase and if so what can I do?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Have you recently come off any type of birth control? That can cause your to have a short luteal phase for a least a few months.

To have good chances of getting pregnant, your luteal phase should be at least 10 days long... so this very well could be the reason you are having problems.

Here are some things that may help (from my fertility bible :D 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler... definitely a great book) :)

Diet:
    *this can alleviate PMS symptoms as well as help regulate your cycle better
    Well-balanced diet of whole grains, fruits, and veggies, inculding legumes.
    Drastically cut back on foods high in sugar, salt, and fat.
    Avoid alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine.
    Prenatal vitamin.
    200-600 milligrams a day of vitamin B6 (consult doctor first)

Medications:
    You can be treated by your doctor with progesterone that should help make your luteal phase longer (some include Clomid as well).

You are doing great tracking your cycle and becoming aware of potential problems. I would suggest changing your diet to the above and continue charting. If the charting shows no change and you still have a short luteal phase (less than 10 days) I would bring all your charting to your doctors and start a treatment plan.

Good luck!

Nov 19, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Michelle,

Thaks I have that book too. Unfortunately docs here won't prescribe progesterone - I asked several times. Will ask what else can be done when go ack. Haven't had any contraceptin for years but did have a baby and breast fed in April 0 for 10 months but you'd think it would be resolved by now! Thanks for your advice.

Maria
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:33 AM
    How long have you been Trying to conceive?

While most doctors would like you to try a year before stepping in, as long as you can show by your charting that your luteal phase is short I don't see why your doctor won't prescribe you progesterone.

I would definitely set another appt and see what they can do to help, or maybe see about getting a second opinion.

Nov 19, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Trying to conceive for a year now. Have a 1.5 year old and then have had 3 miscariages since then - April, June and Last month. All pretty heartbraking and hard to understand when no probs conceiving first time. Have been referred to miscarriage clinic and al bloods normal. Asked about progesterone and told there is a lack of evidence surrounding it sothey don't prescribe it. Thought about buying it online but too scared. Can't afford to go private so can't really get second opinion. To be seen again next month. Sounds like not really much to be done nless any probs with bloods and have them back and all normal. Pretty hopeless really. Hate idea of going through miscarriage after miscarriage. Too much pain.

Nov 19, 2007, 10:12 AM
    By the way live in the UK - all a bit different here! Wish lived in USA they are more pro-active with prescribing.
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Yeah, really not much you can do, aside from the above mentioned unless your doctor is willing to help :(

Good luck
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Nov 21, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maria06
    By the way live in the UK - all a bit different here! Wish lived in USA they are more pro-active with prescribing.
    Actually in the UK, you can get a second opinion it just takes a bit longer than it would do in the states. In the UK, you have the right to chose where you are treated and whom you are treated by and its still free on the NHS. Your doctor knows this but will not willingly give the information unless you request it. Sorry love, but you have to make noise to get your way. Good luck love and hope all goes well for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search