Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2005, 03:23 AM
    Outlook express
    hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2005, 03:32 AM
    The setting for Gmail are
    Incoming pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing smtp.gmail.com

With Yahoo the settings are
    Incoming pop.yahoo.com
    Outgoing smtp.yahoo.com

With both you have to set up POP Access & Forwarding via the OPtions/settings menu on the web mail.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:

Both Yahoo and GMail charge extra for POP3 service. If you subscribe to their POP3 service, they will give you the server names.

If you don't want to pay, I would suggest using EPrompter. This freeware (donations accepted) allows you to poll any POP3 mailbox as well as serveral of the WEB based mailboxes (Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail and others). I use it and it works great.
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2005, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Both Yahoo and GMail charge extra for POP3 service. If you subscribe to their POP3 service, they will give you the server names.

If you don't want to pay, I would suggest using EPrompter. This freeware (donations accepted) allows you to poll any POP3 mailbox as well as serveral of the WEB based mailboxes (Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail and others). I use it and it works great.

Sorry Scott but they don't, Hotmail does but Gmail/Yahoo still offer this service for free.
    EPrompter is a good idea tho' ;)

Nov 28, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Sorry Scott but they don't, Hotmail does but Gmail/Yahoo still offer this service for free.
    EPrompter is a good idea tho' ;)
    You sure about that? I know you can retrieve POP3 mail from Yahoo and G-Mail for free, but to retrieve mail using a POP3 client costs. For example:

If you go here for Yahoo (http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades) it lists POP3 access as a paid upgrade.

GMail does provide free POP3 access.
    BossMan

Nov 28, 2005, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You sure about that? I know you can retrieve POP3 mail from Yahoo and G-Mail for free, but to retrieve mail using a POP3 client costs. For example:

If you go here for Yahoo (http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades) it lists POP3 access as a paid upgrade.

GMail does provide free POP3 access.
    Scott, yep certain check under OPTIONS, (top right) management, POP Access and Forwarding ;)

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo mail
    POP Access & Forwarding
    [ Need Help? ]
    gives you even more flexibility with two free features!

As a Yahoo! Delivers member (you asked to receive special offers via when you registered with us), you can take advantage of email forwarding and POP access. Each one is free, exclusively for Yahoo! Delivers members.

Web & POP Access [POP Settings]

Access Yahoo! Mail via the web interface and through any email program using POP3 (e.g., Eudora, Outlook, or Netscape Mail).
    When downloading new messages:
    I don't want to receive any messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam
    I want to receive all messages, including those that SpamGuard thinks are spam
    For messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam, add [Bulk] as a prefix to the subject
    Learn more about these options - View POP Settings
    Ok so I have to get the odd bit of junk from them now and again, but it's a small price to pay.

Nov 29, 2005, 02:10 AM
    Re:outlook express
    Hi pals nice suggetions thanks

Nov 29, 2005, 02:47 AM
    outlook express
    :confused: hi pals I recive this error
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop3.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

what shall I do now?
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 02:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    :confused: hi pals i recive this error
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop3.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

what shall i do now??
    You need to recheck your settings as they appear to be wrong

The setting for Gmail are
    Incoming pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing smtp.gmail.com

With Yahoo the settings are
    Incoming pop.yahoo.com
    Outgoing smtp.yahoo.com

With both you have to set up POP Access & Forwarding via the OPtions/settings menu on the web mail.

Nov 29, 2005, 03:06 AM
    re:outlook express
    OK ben I have done what u said now I got this error

The host 'pop.yahoo.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I don't understand this at all :confused:
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 03:23 AM
    Have you activated pop access in your Yahoo account ?
    Go to OPtions then POP Access & Forwarding

Nov 29, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Have you activated pop access in your Yahoo account ?
    Go to OPtions then POP Access & Forwarding
    I just went to options and there is no POP Access & Forwarding option. I do have a Mail Accounts, option and under that I can do forwarding and retrival. But not external POP3 access.
    BossMan

Nov 29, 2005, 05:37 AM
    Weird :confused:

Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 AM
    Outlook express
    So u pals do u suggest any alternative software to outlook express? :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express [ 6 Answers ]

How do I retrieve files once Outlook express has Auto compacted them. I want to get information from the files that went off my screen. Is there a path to locate these files.? Aljay

Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running XP on my home computer. Since one of my sons "tweaked something" I can see messages (properties show full message is there) in the in box but the preview pane is empty. Similarly if you open the message the main message box is empty. If you print the e mail it shows attachments present...

Outlook Express for XP/How to set something [ 4 Answers ]

How do you set outlook so that when you highlight and e-mail it doesn't automatically open an attachment, for security purposes?

Outlook express 6 [ 2 Answers ]

How can I use my outlook properly, I can't receive, can't send what is happening... please help me... :(

Outlook Express 6.0 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I just downloaded Outlook express 6.0--When I try to sign in, it asked for my password which I must have had in Outlook Express 5--but I can't remember it--How do I find out what my pasword is--can't find anything on OE about doing this--Thank u very much

View more questions Search