Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taylorsk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
    240v heat & 120 outlet on same line?
    Hi - I have a 240v convection heater with no 120v features (fan, timer etc). I have a dedicated run of 12/3 wg available. Is there any way to use that spare 3rd wire to provide a couple 120 v outlets?
    Thanks,
    Taylorsk
    ksduster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorsk
    Hi - I have a 240v convection heater with no 120v features (fan, timer etc). I have a dedicated run of 12/3 wg available. Is there any way to use that spare 3rd wire to provide a couple 120 v outlets?
    Thanks,
    Taylorsk
    You can install a comb 120/240 receptacle on a 20 amp or 15 amp circuit providing the breaker is a double pole breaker and the wire is a 3 wire with ground. Don
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Just tie the white wire to the silver screw and either hot to the brass. You may want to take care just what you plug in. The heater may already consuming most of the power available.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 19, 2007, 05:48 AM
    I'm confused here... as usual. Are you saying you currently have a 240V circuit (your 12/3 cable) that you are using to power your heater? And there is an extra wire in that cable not being used? (normal for many 240V circuits) And that you would like to use that extra unused conductor to power a 120V receptacle? If I have that correct, I don't see how this can be done. What are you going to use as a neutral? And you can NEVER filch 120V off one leg of a 240V circuit and use the spare wire as a neutral. So like I said... I'm confused!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Sorry, but I wish I could get to some questions such as this before others, but the real advice is, you may not like this, receptacles are not allowed to use circuits for fixed space electric heat.

Please note, this is only for permanently installed heaters.

If this heater is portable, then the circuit can feed a combination device, with a 240 volt and a 120 volt receptacle, such as the picture attached.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker with "10kA 120/240v~" and a yellow D [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a old place with very poor upkeep. The circuit breakers weren't labeled at all. I went To label all of them and was able to determine all Except for 2 that don't appear to go to anything. Those 2 look different than the rest and I was Wondering what they might be for. They...

Dead outlet that reads 120 volts [ 2 Answers ]

The outlet that supplies my washer recently went dead. I replaced the outlet. Standard two-conductor grounded romex wire. Hot, common, and ground. The new outlet reads 120 volts with a voltage meter but will not power anything, not even a 20 watt lamp. Am I missing something here? Very...

Change a 120 to a 240 outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Please help.. in my gerage all I have are 3 or 4 outlets all normal 120 household outlets, I'm going to start welding at my house to keep up with work and my welder needs a 240 outlet. I have a late 80's early 90's fuse box and not 1 240 outlet in the entire house, how can I myself install a 240...

Can an open ground reading on a grounded circuit mean a 240V line? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, folks - wondering if someone can help me out. I'm getting an "open ground" reading on a wall outlet which is being fed by 12/2-grounded romex cable. The cable is grounded at the panel, so I'm not sure why I should be getting an open ground reading. This line is for an electric baseboard...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

View more questions Search