Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ixr687 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Background check questions
    I am searching for a new job and I know some employers do background checks, so I was wondering if they are capable of finding out how much I used to make hourly. Can I put that I made more than I really did?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2007, 03:18 PM
    That would not come out from a background check, but it might come out from a reference check. Your old job may reveal the info or they may only confirm employment dates.

But one should never lie on an employment application.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 03:18 PM
    I wouldn't advise it. They have a way of finding out anything they want to now.
    What would be the benefit anyway?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 03:21 PM
    A former employer who would be listed on your application could report your earnings to a prospective employer. Why would you want to report a higher wage anyway?--to look more important than you were? In hopes that the prospective employer will pay you more?

Please don't lie on a job application or on a resume. It will only backfire on you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ixr687
    I am searching for a new job and I know some employers do background checks, so I was wondering if they are capable of finding out how much I used to make hourly. Can I put that I made more than I really did?

Depending on the background check, yes they can find out; why would you claim more than you actually made?

Lie on the application and you could find yourself fired with cause - no unemployment insurance - at some point in the future.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
    This is easy, when you apply for a job you allow them to check with prior places where you work, they merely call and ask when you worked, what you did, and how much you make, most likely most places check that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Background check [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am natalija. Have a record of shoplifting and received provincial offence notice, and I plead guilty and paid the 500 Dollars, but should not appear in the court. Now I got a job offer from the private company but according to them ( a private and a very company) "once you have...

Background Check? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I have a theft charge. I got defered ajudification if that's how you spell it well that means I never get convicted charged and it will only say pending for a year then dismissed for two years then completely gone after 3 years. But I Want a job and I am not sure what will come up when they...

Background check [ 4 Answers ]

I was arrested for theft of items that came to a total of $210. It was a misdomenor (sp) I went to my first court date and the judge entered a plea of not guilty for me, I go back to court next week. My question is, I am starting a new job and they will be running a background check, will this show...

Background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Please help, how do I go about a background check on a private school for my 6th grader? I find it strange there is only 52 kids 1-12 grade?

View more questions Search