Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedbag Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 06:25 PM
    Firewire problem with Sony Camcorder
    I am wondering what the secret is to hooking up a Sony TRV330 digital Camcorder through the Firewire connection.

Apparently there is a sequence that must be followed or you can blow out something in the Camcorder. I don't do this very often, so once again, I guess I killed it (the camcorder).

I would power up the camcorder, then plug in firewire cable from computer. Suddenly Camcorder goes "dead". No power, no work at all. This is the second time it has happened. The first time it happened, I had plugged the camcorder in and hooked up firewire with the camcorder OFF. Then when I turned camcorder on, it powered up, and immediately went off. Had to send it to Sony to get fixed. They said it was something "bad" in camera electronics and was unrelated to the hookup. They said it shouldn't matter if the Camcorder is ON or OFF when plug in to the computer. But it just happened again. Plugged it in, camcorder goes permanently dead.

Computer is standard: PC, pentium 4, onboard USB 2.0 and Firewire, 1-gig memory, winXP home, sp2.

Any ideas why this happens, along with the secret to importing through firewire would be appreciated. They said it is supposed to be easy... :o
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Have you checked the manual that came with the camcorder?

I found this info on Sony's web site

Knowledge Article C111893

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-...?mdl=DCRTRV330

How to connect a digital camcorder to a computer using an i.LINK® connection (IEEE 1394).

Follow this procedure to connect a digital camcorder to a computer using an i.LINK® connection (IEEE 1394).

IMPORTANT: The computer must have an i.LINK® (IEEE 1394) port and compatible video capture software installed.

NOTE: The i.LINK® ports may have four or six pin connections. Sony® digital camcorders use i.LINK® ports with four pins. Consult the computer or capture card manufacturer for the specifications of the i.LINK® port on the computer.

Verify that the tape that is being used actually has video recorded on it, and that it is rewound.
    Connect the i.LINK® cable to the digital camcorder.
    Connect the other end of the i.LINK® cable to the computer.
    Turn on the computer.
    Turn on the digital camcorder.
    Start the video capture software on the computer.
    NOTE: Image capture should be available if the computer hardware and software are configured correctly. If image capture is not available, consult the computer or capture card manufacturer for assistance.

Nov 28, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Sony firewire Camcorder
    Thanks ScottGem.

Your post does illustrate one important item. Hook all this up with the camera and computer OFF.

After hookup:

.. Turn on the computer.
    ... Turn on the digital camcorder.

That may have been the problem. Doing this with them ON blows out the camcorder.

Thanks again.

http://www.putfile.com/speedbag

Nov 28, 2005, 04:16 PM
    Glad to assist. Shows you that most info is available on the WEB if you look.
    elenasakis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2005, 09:06 AM
    Problem transferring files into my PC from my memory card
    Hello I just bought a Sony Handycam DCR-HC90E last week and I'm having a problem with transferring files into my PC from my memory card.I have windows XP SP2.2-3 days ago I had no problem transferring files but now every time I plug in the USB cable on my PC the memory indicator on the LCD screen grays out.Of course I have it on PLAY/EDIT mode.I'm also having problems after connecting the I-Link cable on my PC.I don't get no signal, with everything done properly.Even in the device manager(I think it's called in english) I checked and everything appears to be O.K.I think that something is not functioning on my handycam because both outputs aren't responding!Can anyone please tell my what's happening,thank you.

Dec 5, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by elenasakis
    Hello I just bought a Sony Handycam DCR-HC90E last week and I'm having a problem with transferring files into my PC from my memory card.I have windows XP SP2.2-3 days ago I had no problem transferring files but now everytime I plug in the USB cable on my PC the memory indicator on the LCD screen grays out.Of course I have it on PLAY/EDIT mode.I'm also having problems after connecting the I-Link cable on my PC.I don't get no signal, with everything done properly.Even in the device manager(I think it's called in english) I checked and everything appears to be O.K.I think that something is not functioning on my handycam because both outputs aren't responding!Can anyone please tell my what's happening,thank you.
    I would suggest removing then reinstalling the drivers for the camera. I would also suggest getting a memory card reader and trying to read directly from the card.
    LocksmithCharley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2005, 08:44 PM
    Sony Camcorder firewire problem
    I have been using the sony trv320 for a couple years now and have routinely plugged in the firewire with computer or camera ON with no ill results.

I have recently begun having trouble with (several) cameras not being recognized by the computer at all and am wondering if this could be the "blowing out" problem discussed here.

The camera(s) otherwise work fine in all other respects.

Thanks for any further info,
    Charley:confused:

Dec 16, 2005, 09:45 AM
    Firewire input problems with WindowsXP SP2
    Hey guys,

I just found this on the Microsoft knowledge board.

SYMPTOMS
    After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade

Read more at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

The article gives a registry fix if you have this problem, with a download repair. Here is the link to that download

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Of Course, DO NOT download and install anything you do not understand, or if you are not having the problem.

Hope it helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with Picture Package - SONY Handycam [ 1 Answers ]

Mine is SONY TRV285 E digitial camcorder. I have shooted video and am using the PIXELA PACKAGE SW which was provided by SONY corporation. It is capturing the video and audio (Master) and saving in from of AVI. It is consuming lot of disk space (For eg: 10 minutes video is occupying 800+ MB). I...

Sony Vaio PCG-K23 512MB to 1GB mem upgrade problem [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23 which came preinstalled with 2 x 256MB Infineon HYS64D32020GDL-7-B PC2100 SO-DIMMs. I recently purchased 2 x 512MB Patriot Memory PSD512333S PC2700 SO-DIMMs hoping to replace the Infineon SO-DIMMs and bring it up to the maximum capability of 1GB. I realise that the PC2700...

Firewire doesn't recognize the camcorder [ 5 Answers ]

I had connected my camcorder using a cable to Firewire (IEEE1394) before to burn videos to DVDs. It worked fine . But recently I tried again , it seems the computer doesn't recognize the connection of the camcorder through FIREWIRE. I have XP home edition operating system. Can anyone help me with...

Sony Vaio PCG-K27 Bios Problem [ 9 Answers ]

I am having an issue with my notebook. I forgot the password that I put on it a year ago when I bought it. I need to know either how to remove this password, or what tools are needed to remove it. I am willing to take it to a service center, but I cannot afford to send it to the Sony facility in...

Why is the name of sony company is SONY? [ 2 Answers ]

Why is the name of sony company is SONY? Thanks

View more questions Search