Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    707kwg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Info on bank levy
    I recently closed down my business to take a medical leave. A disgruntled ex employee received a labor Commission judgment against my business, and he has found my personal bank account , and levied it recently. Fortunately, I didn't have much money in this account at the time, but do I dare deposit any money in this account from now on? Should I close the account? Was the levy just a one day affair, or does it stay in effect, and if so, for how long?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 03:03 PM
    They can only take the amount of money that is owed and nothing else. But I suggest, if you can, close that bank account now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 18, 2007, 03:08 PM
    First, was your business incorporated or an LLC or similar? Unless you ran it as a sole proprietorship (a mistake if you had employees) he shouldn't have been able to attach personal assets. Also where you aware of the judgement? Also if the judgement was specifically against the business and not you personally, then you should be able quash the levy on those grounds.

But I would definitely not use that account again.
    707kwg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Thanks for response. I think its time to transfer some funds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Levy [ 1 Answers ]

Today I received papers on a bank levy to my account seeing how I only had a few dollars in there they took it. Will they keep coming after everything that I deposit until the debt is cleared? Because my check is direct deposited what do I need to do?

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, My Bank Account was levied (Levy) Writ on Oct 1st.. from a Lawsuit filed in 2004... They got $780.00 and I have since filed to Quash... Can they continue to get more from that account?

Bank levy [ 4 Answers ]

HI, I received a letter today from the bank and it has attached a letter where a Plaintiff a debt collector company and vs me. The letter is about restraining Notice information Subpoena. Which says " whereas it appears that you woe a debt ot the judgment debtor or are in possession or...

Bank Levy [ 2 Answers ]

A creditor has put a levy on my bank account for a court judgement on a past due credit card account. I didn't know about the court judgement till today. Now all of my funds are on hold. I was told that I would need to go to the court house to get a copy of the judgement order. My question is, I...

Bank levy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Last week I deceided to clear up my credit report so I pulled it and began paying off. One of debts was a judgemnt for 700. And soome change but we settled it and I paid . No yesterday I go to my savings acct and that same company I paid took out 1680.00 out of my acct. Now mind you when I...

View more questions Search