Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tennisgal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 11:58 AM
    What is nonstandard language?
    I am writing an language essay for my AP english language and compostion and I need major help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:13 PM
    What kind of help do you need? Please be specific.

Nov 18, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    What kind of help do you need? Please be specific.
    I need to know what is "nonstandard language" to write an essay about: what are the advantages and disadvantages of using nonstandard language when speaking? How effective are these forms of language as ways to communicate? I have nothing written down now.. and its due tomorrow! Please help!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Here's a definition of the term:

nonstandard. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Are you supposed to write about (which one?) --
    1. the general idea of this?
    2. a specific nonstandard language?
    3. the general definition and discuss that, then move into specific nonstandard languages and tell how they are effective or ineffective?

How long is the essay supposed to be?

What grade are you in? (high school junior or senior maybe?)

Nov 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Here's a definition of the term:

nonstandard. The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Are you supposed to write about (which one?) --
    1. the general idea of this?
    2. a specific nonstandard language?
    3. the general definition and discuss that, then move into specific nonstandard languages and tell how they are effective or ineffective?

How long is the essay supposed to be?

What grade are you in? (high school junior or senior maybe?)
    Thanks for replying
    I am not really sure but I think I am supposed the nonstandard language is referring to "blah, blah,blah" "yeah,right" and "duh" since these are in the passages that we have recently read.

Here is the prompt if your confused:
    Kim Kessler and Kirk Johnson both write about forms of language that do not obey traditional grammar rules and are considered incorrect by some people. As you see it, what are the disadvantages and advantages of using nonstandard language when speaking? How effective are these forms of language as ways to communicate? Write an essay answering these questions, using examples from the essays and your own experience.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Those would be non-conventional uses that flout our English-language standard or may be novel uses. "Yada, yada, yada" and "d'oh" and "Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?" etc. are stolen from TV shows (plus others from movies) and have become part of our language.

If a person is "in," he will know what the other is talking about. If not, then the person is clueless. Thus the idea of "nonstandard."

Malapropisms (little-kid speech) are idiosyncratic non-conventional uses of language.

If you Google "nonstandard language examples" and similar keywords (without quote marks), and also "malapropisms" and "mondegreens" and "ebonics," you will get all sorts of ideas and help.

Please do NOT plagiarize from any sites. Your teacher will catch you. Use the Internet to get ideas from your own experience.

Nov 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Those would be non-conventional uses that flout our English-language standard or may be novel uses. "Yada, yada, yada" and "d'oh" and "Whatcha talkin' 'bout, Willis?" etc. are stolen from TV shows (plus others from movies) and have become part of our language.

If a person is "in," he will know what the other is talking about. If not, then the person is clueless. Thus the idea of "nonstandard."

Malapropisms (little-kid speech) are idiosyncratic non-conventional uses of language.

If you Google "nonstandard language examples" and similar keywords (without quote marks), and also "malapropisms" and "mondegreens" and "ebonics," you will get all sorts of ideas and help.

Please do NOT plagiarize from any sites. Your teacher will catch you. Use the Internet to get ideas from your own experience.
    OK thanks! So I am supposed to tell the advantages and disadvantages of "Blah, Blah, Blah" "yeah, right" and "duh" and how it is effective base on the prompt?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Incorrect English is also nonstandard and is spoken within various groups. "We seen it" and "ain't" and "I have got three...." are examples that are common.

Black street talk or rap is another nonstandard language -- "bling" and "ho" and "pimp my ride" and "homey" are examples.

Nov 18, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Incorrect English is also nonstandard and is spoken within various groups. "We seen it" and "ain't" and "I have got three...." are examples that are common.

Black street talk or rap is another nonstandard language -- "bling" and "ho" and "pimp my ride" and "homey" are examples.
    OK I know what your saying
    But its not about giving examples of nonstandard language...
    Is about explaining the disadvantages and advantages of those phrases. You haven't answer my question from above yet..
    Please answer it
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tennisgal
    what are the disadvantages and advantages of using nonstandard language when speaking? How effective are these forms of language as ways to communicate? Write an essay answering these questions, using examples from the essays and your own experience.
    Well, think about it. What are the advantages of using a language only certain people understand? In the same way, what are the disadvantages? (I could list lots for each of those.)

How effective are they? Within one's own group who also speak that way? In the larger group of people who do not speak that way? (lots of things to say here too--think about if you used many of those terms and how it would impact on your life).

Nov 18, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Well, think about it. What are the advantages of using a language only certain people understand? In the same way, what are the disadvantages? (I could list lots for each of those.)

How effective are they? within one's own group who also speak that way? in the larger group of people who do not speak that way? (lots of things to say here too--think about if you used many of those terms and how it would impact on your life).
    OK thanks!
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 18, 2007, 01:16 PM
    How many words do yo have to do? And don't panic I used to leave all my essays until the night before they were due in (some people work well under pressure) so unless its like 10,000 words its do-able. Have you done an essay plan? You know things to include in the essay? I always give both sides, so you do an intro and then you also talk about standard English and its uses... ie Educational uses, factual books, The news (not trashy newspapers). But I would also talk about non standard English (or slang) and then talk about its uses. Literature that is more aimed at a younger audience will be non standard English as a means of the audience engaging with the text... now the text doesn't just mean written language in terms of books it can also mean radio, TV etc.
    Hope it helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change language in 'Regional and Language Options' without restarting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! On windows I have to work on 3 languages, Japanese, English and Thai. Some programs I use don't work on Thai-English windows, so I have to switch the window language to Japanese-English in 'Regional and Language Options' and it restart every time. There's any ways to set window...

What does this mean, what language is it? [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone tell me what the following means, and what language it is in: Ma wo ri nah... ma fi mi kpa I apologize if it is rude or obscene, I have no idea. Thank you. Emma.

Language [ 3 Answers ]

What is the etiology of the phrase "tow the mark" mean?

First language literacy and second language litera [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between first language literacy and second language literacy?

View more questions Search