Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    korndolly Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Blood in diarrhea
    Please help, I have just bought a 7 week old yorkshire terrier, when I got her home she was a bit quiet probably because she was nervous. Over the past few days her poo has got runnier and today it was a yellow/orange liquid with signs of blood in it, she seems active, hasn't gone off food, a bit sleepy. I know it could be parvo.. hope to god not, but it's a Sunday and vets not open. Could anyone give me some advice as to what to do and what else it could be?
    Thanks
    Lou:confused:
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Is there an emergency Vet clinic you can take your puppy to? If not, call tomorrow, right away, to get the pup in. It could be parvo and it could be worms. Who did you buy the pup from? Did the pup have any vaccinations yet? What was the health history given to you? Did you enquire about the health of the dame and sire? What food are you giving the pup? Do you have a vet that you have used before, one that you could call today and ask for an opinion? Sometimes the clinics have an after hours phone number, or an on call phone number. It will not hurt to try calling today. You might get ahold of someone.

I am not a vet so I would say your best action would be to call a Vet, get the pup in and examined, with appropriate testing.

Nov 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the advice, I got her off a woman who was advertising on a free ad site, the mum and dad seemed in good health, she had loads of dogs though. Will try to ring vet but don't think there will be an answer, she's a lovely little dog, I do hope it's nothing serious:(

Nov 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
    She has not yet had her injection, it's due in the next few days
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Unfortunately shots may or may not help. Although it could be a lot of things, if it is Parvo, the sooner she is under a vet's care, the more likely she is to survive. If nothing else, try to keep her hydrated with Pedilyte, or even Gator Ade.

Nov 19, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Thanks for the advice, she seems a lot better today, her poos no solid yet but its brown and there's no blood. I'm taking her to the vets today, hopefully it goes OK :)

Nov 19, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Also, she poos in her crate over night is there anyway to stop her from doing this? I take her out before I go to bed at 12ish and her last meal is at 6.30pm
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
    That is a tough one. She may have been forced to live in her own filth before you got her. Add the diarrhea, and she may not be able to help it. Make sure when you take her out, she walks around to stimulate bowel movements. You may need to get up and take her out in the middle of the night for a while. If it is stress related, putting her to bed with a peanut butter filled Kong may help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten diarrhea [ 1 Answers ]

Keyda, my 8 week old kitten is being treated for coccidia-she has taken the medicine for 3 days now. 1st day after the start of medicine she seemed to be doing better. Stools more brown and starting to firm up. She is going on her fourth day now and I noticed that it is now worse than ever. ...

Diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I did not see a section for pets so I thought it would be okay to ask my question under "people medical conditions". My dog is 6 months old and he has had diarrhea and mucous covered stool off and on for about 3 months now. We have taken him to the vet 3 times and the first time it was Giardia, the...

Baby 9week Pitbull/diarrhea and blood [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: My 9 week old pit bull has had the runs for about two days.. she goes almost exactly every 2 hours.. and just right now I found blood in her poop Her poop is extremely watery, and she'll play for about 5 minutes then go to bed for two hours then wake up to poop again. She is eating...

Kitten with diarrhea [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old kitten and since we got her 3 days ago she has had constant diarrhea. What can I do. She has had her first shots and is dewormed.

Bloody diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

I have got a female dalmatian dog whose age is 1year I have left my dog at the care of a friend of mine and when I got it back ,first day it was looking tired and sleepy with loss of appetite On the second day diarrhea and severe vomiting started ,I went to the vet who gave it abroad spectrum...

View more questions Search