Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendyroo2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Electrical problems
    [last night power went out in parts of my trailor.we checked the fuses nothing went out to the pole,where cardboard fuses 2 of them,after about an hour the lights started to slowly kick on again,this morning same thing,power in parts of the trailor and none in others,how can I tell if fuses are shot?
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Your description is a bit confusing to me. But I can say this... I have never seen a residential fuse that would break the circuit, then come back on. When a fuse blows, it's done and needs to be replaced. I'm thinking you have another problem that should be examined immediately.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:16 AM
    If you have a meter, you can check both ends of the fuse for 120 volts to ground. You can also check the leads coming off the fuse holders. Since you are dealing with heavy conductors, it calls for steady hands. It may be safer to do your probing with the disconnect open and using the ohm scale. All the connections should have a very low reading.

Without a meter, all you can do is replace the fuse and see if it fixes the problem. That may also fix a fuse that was making poor contact.
    wendyroo2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobraguy
    Your description is a bit confusing to me. But I can say this... I have never seen a residential fuse that would break the circuit, then come back on. When a fuse blows, it's done and needs to be replaced. I'm thinking you have another problem that should be examined immediately.

Thank you for the help all of you,but we figured it out and it wasn't a fuse after all,the huge plug that goes to the out side box(on the pole) was spliced last year for my pool filter and 2 of the wires were barley touching,which explain the on and off,so went to Lowe's and all better thank god
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
    To Cobraguy:

I've seen 2 intermittant 3AG fuses in my life so far. The first time drove me nuts. Ohms test OK. Put in circuit it opens. Go figure.

KISS
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 19, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    To Cobraguy:

I've seen 2 intermittant 3AG fuses in my life so far. The first time drove me nuts. Ohms test OK. Put in circuit it opens. Go figure.

KISS
    That would drive me nuts too. I've never seen it. But I'll remember it! Thanks for the information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cars and trucks electrical problems [ 4 Answers ]

My 92 four door civic has an electrical problem. I am not getting power to the masterpower switch that controls the front windows. The rear windows at this location work from this switch. The individual door switches for the car( passenger and both rear windows) work from their doors. All of the...

94 civic electrical problems [ 3 Answers ]

My dash is not working, odometer,speedometer speed,fuel,turning signals,and temperature gauge are all out. Before it went out speedometer use to go bezerk while driving like 30-120-40-0-70 etc. could this be a fuse or electrical wiring gone bad. I have a 94 civic dx cpe with about 213 thousand...

Electrical problems [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my flashers on my temperature gauge goes to hot. And whem bright lights on the turn signals lights come on and when using turn signals the light blinks in opposite direction.plez help

95 Civic DX 2 electrical problems. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 problems with my 95 Civic DX: 1: I jumpstart my car and it starts right up. When I turn off the car, an hour later the battery dies. I have charged it up full and something is draining it. Nothing is left on. Maybe I need a new battery? 2: I have projector headlights that keep...

View more questions Search