Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Nov 27, 2005, 04:53 AM
    Webhosting
    Hi everybody
    I'm a newbie , I was keen to build my own webpage.can you help me with a userfriendly webhosting site with all the features that would make my job more easy
    Thanks pals
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 27, 2005, 07:04 AM
    What sort of host are you looking for as there are many about?

Here are a few free ones that are easy to use especially for small personal web pages
    Angelfire
    Tripod
    Geocities

These should give you something to think about ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2005, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    hi everybody
    im a newbie , i was keen to build my own webpage.can you help me with a userfriendly webhosting site with all the features that would make my job more easy
    thanks pals
    I suggest, instead, that you learn to use HTML. The type of site you can create with a template will be very simple. It will look like it was created from a template. HTML is not hard, its simply a matter of using paired to format the text. Getting a decent book on HTML will have you up and running in a few days.
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2005, 02:52 AM
    Webhosting
    Hi scott thanks for your suggetion I have already learned html and java script .what I need to know it how to upload my html files on to a webhosting site and if I want do establish my own website how can I do that please explain me the procedure
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2005, 02:58 AM
    Typically the uploading is done by FTP.

As for Hosting, I use Lunarpages for my 9 sites.

Great price and features and the support is no less than fantastic.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2005, 05:46 AM
    As you already seem to have a Yahoo ID, I'd go with Geocities (recommended by CurlyBen). You'll be able to use your existing Yahoo ID.

Just in addition to what Rick said. The easiest way of uploading to your web space would be FTP. Some web hosts might even provide a web page where you can upload your files so look out for that too (although this won't be as easy as using FTP).

A good FTP client is AceFTP.
    A short description of how to use to make a connection and transfer files http://software.visicommedia.com/en/.../gstarted.html

You're host should be able to advise you of the FTP host address and your username/password. You'll need those to connect.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ
    hi scott thanks for ur suggetion i have already learned html and java script .what i need to know it how to upload my html files on to a webhosting site and if i want do establish my own website how can i do that plz explain me the procedure
    There are loads of WEB host services out there. I personally use Interland (they bought out my previous host company). I've also had good experience with GoDaddy.com. There are lots of others, try hostsearch.com. A lot depends on your budget and the features you want.

How you upload the pages depends on the host. Most use FTP. Once you subscribe they will give you the FTP address for your site. You then login and send the files. There are many FTP clients out there. The host may recommend one, but there are loads of them. Personally I use FTP Commander, which is freeware. Also, the WEB authoring program you use (like Frontpage), may include a publish function that will do the upload. But again you need to get the address from the host.

I'm not sure what you mean by "establish my own website". Before you can put a site on the WEB you need to purchase a domain name. Many WEB host services will do this for you or you can use a registrar like GoDaddy.com or register.com. Once you have a domain, you let your WEB host know the name and they will setup it up so it will be accessible on the WEB.

I do NOT recommend operating your own WEB server. It is so much more cost effective to contract with a WEB host service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heavy duty webhosting question [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to start a site where people can listen to lots of audio programs. I believe that I need at least 2000GB of data transfer per month or more. I have googled but didn't find any dedicated servers that are giving more than 1500 GB of bandwidth. Can anyone suggest any good server....

How to find totally Safe webhosting- full control [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend me a safe webhosting service where I can outsource the website maintenance work but only give them limited access. I mean, I do not want my maintenance people to take over my website as my website is gaining popularity and I am getting in bad terms with these people. Is there...

View more questions Search