Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Make Shift Canvas
    I want to make a homemade canvas to paint a picture on. Actually I want to make three...

And the reason that I want to make it myself is so that I can customize the size, and it's cheaper...

Does anyone have any suggestions? :)
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
    I would bleach some burlap and staple it into a wooden frame, but I've never done this before, so maybe someone else has a better idea?

Good luck!
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:09 AM
    I was thinking of something small... and thin.. I was thinking about buying some loose canvas and particle board... but that's not thin enough...

If this helps: I'm trying to make thin but sturdy canvasses to paint pictures on to sit in a picture holder sort of thing... I don't really know how to describe it... kinda like the things that hold plates on the wall...
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Hmm... Maybe get some corrugated cardboard and then put a loose canvas on it?
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:12 AM
    That's kind of what I was thinking... but how to attach it? And I wouldn't think that the carboard would be sturdy enough to withstand the stretching of the canvas...
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:13 AM
    You can get some pretty thick cardboard boxes and cut them yourself with an exacto knife.. you can attach the one side with glue maybe?
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
    I want something that will stand the test of time... I'm not sure that will... but not a bad suggestion.
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:16 AM
    Well generally canvasses that aren't treated with chemicals to keep their color and not deteriorate don't last a long long time... maybe plywood, but I'm not sure either.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:18 AM
    I will put a seal over the paint... and gesso the canvas before beginning my project. Has anyone ever tried painting on glass?? I was also somewhat curious of how that works..
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Actually I have painted on glass! The only thing that is different about painting on glass is that sometimes regular paint looks strange on it or doesn't stay put/stick, and you can get glass paint, but it is thicker and if left in a very dry dry place it can crack and peel. It comes with a very neat transparent effect, too depending on the paint you have and how you do it.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Hmmm... that could be an idea...
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:21 AM
    I could get some white matboard and gesso it and paint on that... I wonder if that would work!!
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
    It's actually pretty fun, I did a decorative globe on a gumball machine with rainbow dots trailing each other and swirling, I had a paint bottle with a pointed tip, it's neat, they are very bright and vivid and shiny, and they are also transparent on the glass so you can see inside.
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
    It might!

The good part is that even if it doesn't or you mess up, it's cheap and you can always try again! XD
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
    That sounds cool... the only downside to that is that I don't want to be able to see through it...
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Maybe I can make a picture by making yarn swirls with spare yarn on a piece of cardboard...
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
    You could, I would invest in a very good glue though so they don't break off.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    That's kinda what I was thinking...but how to attach it? And I wouldn't think that the carboard would be sturdy enough to withstand the stretching of the canvas...
    Hi there!
    Have you ever stretched canvas before? If you are working with a large size, you might want to keep in mind, it is best to put a brace inside the frame to make it more sturdy. When you pull it to stretch it, there is quite an amount of stress on the frame. Also, may I ask if you are wanting it to fit into a frame or to be a gallery wrap?
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, but if you had read this thread, you would have all your answers.

It's small... No frame.
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    You could, I would invest in a very good glue though so they don't break off.
    Definitely!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would any fabric do for a canvas [ 16 Answers ]

I am stretching a very big canvas and the only fabric I could find with the right size seems more like.. well it's a bit the same material used in sterile compresses or POP etc.. I mean the wholes are visible. I will put gesso on it of course but I was wondering if it will work or not.. I don't...

Shift Stuck! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 96 Toyota Camry and at this time the shift is stuck in Park. The car will turn over, but can't get the gear out of park. Any suggestions:(

What's a good way to clean mildew off the canvas on my pop-up camper? [ 4 Answers ]

My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!

Shift Key! [ 1 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page and also in an email message I have to push the shift key the same time I click on the link. How can that be fixed so only clicking on it will open it? Thanks, Jim

View more questions Search