Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I want to make a homemade canvas to paint a picture on. Actually I want to make three...

And the reason that I want to make it myself is so that I can customize the size, and it's cheaper...

Does anyone have any suggestions??:)
    Here I am again with a suggestion. You might enjoy visiting the following thread ink:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...33294-119.html

I believe the posting I was actually thinking of is a few pages earlier but I think you would enjoy this particular thread. Also, there was discussion a few days ago regarding stretching canvases. Hope to see you on the thread. As someone aptly put it, "This thread is developing into a beautifully woven tapestry!" Well, I may not have it word for word but the sentiment is the same. It is great... there are many threads on this site that are just amazing. This one is just one that I am most familiar with! :)
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, but if you had read this thread, you would have all your answers.

It's small....No frame.
    I believe you were addressing this to me, jrebel7? I do apologize for my post getting posted out of normal sequence. I was in the process of replying to your post and got interrupted. I guess I should have checked back and just deleted my post.

I only suggested the bracing for larger pieces not knowing how much experience you have in stretching canvas and just thought it might be some information you could file away for a later time. I had just gone through a learning experience a short time ago when I had a Giclee print on canvas stretched as a gallery wrap. The guy who stretched it for me, shared a lot of his knowledge as to size, bowing of frames if not careful, having a good sealer, etc. I was just trying to share that information with you. The question I had asked as to whether the pieces would be framed or gallery wrapped is a legitimate question whether the piece is 2 inches by 2 inches or 10 feet by 10 feet!

I certainly will be more careful in future postings and again, I did not mean to make you feel insulted thinking that I had not fully read the postings.

Good luck in your endeavor. I wish you the best of luck.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Thanks for the information... I actually just got exactly what I needed at Walmart for three dollars! Got to love Walmart!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 11:27 PM
    Anybody want to know where to get the best, thick, corrugated cardboard that will last a long time if the question ever comes up about where to get the best corrugated cardboard?
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 11:29 PM
    Sure!
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 11:45 PM
    If you know a store that sells acoustic pianos, especially the pianos from the overseas countries, the cardboard that they pack them in is the best! It's even better than the cardboard in which appliances are shipped! Sometimes it's as much as an inch thick! I have never had to pay for it. I just ask music/piano store people if they will save some for me, or I might find it where they have already thrown it out. I have used it mainly for sets on stages. But, I could see it's practical use for things like picture frames and also crafts of other sorts. :)
    Vision Expert

Nov 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
    NIce!! Thanks for the tip!
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 11:54 PM
    NIce!!!! Thanks for the tip!!
    You are welcome! I am by no means an expert at doing visual art or crafty type things. But when I do it, I really get into it! Also really like to find the best materials for projects! :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 07:09 PM
    You should be able to buy some canvas fabric at a store like JoAnn fabrics but I think it might be expensive
    Some art stores sell canvas by the yard too. You might have to ask though.
    Or you could check somewhere that sells canvas for awning companies.

I have painted on mirrors before but you need the right paint or it could peel easily
    I looked this up
    Buy Glass & Tile Paint | Supplies | Glass & Tile Paint | Kits
    rooster49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 11:16 PM
    home made canvas' seem difficult but truly are not. First your size must be determined and have wood cut to size. Usually wood that is 1/2 thick or so, the length of course depends on size. Then wood must be cut at angle where each end meets and I usually use my staple gun to hold the ends together. If you have scrap fabric at home, it can be used as long as it isn't super thick. I prefer cotton or muslin, something cheap! Starting on one side staple cloth to wood in the center. Do this to all sides. Then staple far right corner (x's3)then left side corner until finished. I should have said earlier at all times when you stapling streched the fabric tight over the wood staple. Pull tight staple etc. the next step is important. At any craft store or where ever you purchase your paint you can picki up a can of Jesso or Gesso (not sure of the spelling). What this does when you apply a coat to the strechted fabric is it makes the fabric shrink so it is tight and also shrinks the weave in the fabric so you have a smooth surface to paint on and your colors will paint true to themselves! I hope I made sense. Have a great time! Bravo!
    Vision Expert

Jul 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Lol... it's been eight months since I asked this question. I figured it out, thank you though.
    Austenfan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 11:47 PM

You could try gluing canvas to foam core. Just glue it around the edges. Canvas does not have to be stretched super tightly in order to paint upon it. In fact, that is how floor cloths are painted. The paint is applied to canvas that is not stretched. Then it is varnished after painting. Both canvas and foam core can be cut easily with an x-acto knife. Or just paint right on the foam core. It has a very smooth surface for drawing and painting on. It is very light and can be placed onto a mini-easel on a table or shelf. You can also glue a small flap doodad on the back so the foam core will stand as a framed photograph would, all by itself.
    Vision Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 01:34 PM

This was almost two years ago. I figured it out, thank you.
    Da_Woo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 09:11 AM

Try using regular white mat board which you can buy at the art canvas store. Use Elmers white glue and a small foam roller. Cut the canvas about 1/4" larger all around. Apply the glue to the front of the mat, lay down the canvas. Sandwich between two layers of Wax Paper and weight until dry. Wrap and glue the edges, Sandwich and weight again.
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Question is old and sufficiently answered. Thank you for all who've responded to it.

Question is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would any fabric do for a canvas [ 16 Answers ]

I am stretching a very big canvas and the only fabric I could find with the right size seems more like.. well it's a bit the same material used in sterile compresses or POP etc.. I mean the wholes are visible. I will put gesso on it of course but I was wondering if it will work or not.. I don't...

Shift Stuck! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 96 Toyota Camry and at this time the shift is stuck in Park. The car will turn over, but can't get the gear out of park. Any suggestions:(

What's a good way to clean mildew off the canvas on my pop-up camper? [ 4 Answers ]

My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!

Shift Key! [ 1 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page and also in an email message I have to push the shift key the same time I click on the link. How can that be fixed so only clicking on it will open it? Thanks, Jim

View more questions Search