Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbanczak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
    RTH7500 - old thermostat has 8 wires - how do I wire it?
    Hello,

I recently purchased an RTH7500 and went to wire it. My old thermostat is a honeywell T7512. I suspect it is from 1994 when the house was built. I can't find anything that will tell me how to wire this... Since I have 8 wires coming out of the wall, and all 8 were connected...

On my old thermostat, I have

E Y O R C G W2 B attached. Any idea how I wire the new one? The guide says if you have O C and B - stop... call a contractor...

I believe I have a heat pump, I do not know if it is multistage/etc.

Thank you!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 07:34 AM
    If comfortabe in air handler, I would open up and see wires used. Maybe only 4, and installer may connected unused wires to unused terminals. Inside unit will show what wires are used and for what. You may get lucky and find a schematic.
    jbanczak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Thanks - good advice. So I climbed up in the attic and opened it up. Indeed, the blue wire was not being used. Here is what was up there:

Red - R
    Black - C
    Orange - O
    Y/Y2 - 2 yellow wires
    G - Green
    E - Brown
    W2 - 2 white wires

The unit is a Carrier, model fk4bnb005000aaa

I'm going to try the honeywell site again - but any ideas would be appreciated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2-Wire thermostat with no letter coding on wires [ 1 Answers ]

My old Honeywell rotary thermostat (mercury switch) is a 2-wire system and I want to replace it with a programmable thermostat (Honeywell RTH6300B). Problem is when I pulled off the faceplate, both wires were the same color and there is no letter coding on the wallplate where the wires are...

Rh & W wires mixed, 2 wire heating [ 8 Answers ]

Hope someone can help! Labman you've touched on this but I want to be sure. I have a simple baseboard heater connected to an old analog thermostat with no labeling or HVAC color coding, and I would like to install a new programmable thermostat with only the Rh and W connected - I am using...

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

5-wire thermostat - LOST a few wire labels. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a programmable thermostat (upgrading from a previous programmable that wasn't to our liking. When taking the old thermostat off, I noticed 4 of the 5 wires were labelled. That's a good thing. HOWEVER, when I took the old baseplate off, 2 of the labels fell off (not sure from...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search